• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

NTL Broadband and my Belkin Router

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Connectivity // Telecommunications // Internet News

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scoobynet Muppet
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 8:22 pm    Post subject: NTL Broadband and my Belkin Router Reply with quote

Evil or Very Mad
OK..........newbie, so apologies if this is old hat..
1mb BB link via set top box, got fed up running up and down stairs power cycling the STB so treated myself to a Belkin Router.
Plugged it in......VOILA, instant connectivity, plugged in my laptop docking station and now it does not matter what I try i keep being directed to the NTHELL account provisioing page, time after time after time after time, also I can only connect one pc at a time, if I hook both into router whole thing falls on it's ar*e........................

So, who out there has a solution, am I being rilly dense here?
Posideon
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NTL usually give you the option for either a STB or NTL broadband modem. Typically most of the time they do come with the modem over the set top box.

As far as your Belkin router goes, could be a h/ware problem on one of the ports, but I take it you tried swapping them over?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Scoobynet Muppet
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Guru,

Checked all ports with the company toy...all peachy, tried swearing at em, cursing the router, even calling NTL, but no joy. It looks as if everytime i power a pc NTL see at as a new device on my network, ip's assigned via DHCP, so I can only assume NTL check my mac addresses, which i have cloned Sad
Posideon
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh depending on your setup, there should only be able to see the devices directly attached the the modem/router. In my case I have a server directly connected to my BB, the server then hangs off to a hub internally which the other machines connect with.

In your case, you are using a router from you direct connection and then it will see anything plugged into the router, NTL typically dont offer or support their BB services over a LAN, apparently its not in their policy.

Not used a Belkin router so I am reluctant to offer any more help, hopefully one of the guys might be able to help.

Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
supamag
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why did you keep power cycling the STB ?
Is it because you plugged in your laptop instead of the PC ?

NTL allows you to register two PC's it checks these by the MAc address.

Can you remove one of the names from the NTL account page and add the router in as a replacement.
Scoobynet Muppet
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Supamag,

I have 2 computers one is my own desktop and the other a works laptop complete with docking station. before getting my router i had a hub, in order to use one or the other on the net I had to unplug whichever machine I had finnished with from the hub, go downstairs power cycle the STB go back upstairs plug into the hub the machine i now wanted to use and fire it up. The idea with the router is I can have both machine attached at the same time...........not so it appears.
I managed to get the desktop running off the router, but that was with the laptop unplugged, i powered down the DT and have plugged in the LT I got an instant connection, i am now about to power off LT and power up DT and see if I still have a connection....BRB Rolling Eyes
Scoobynet Muppet
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing well for whatever reason it is now working and i have not touched a thing Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Question Question

Weird..

Thanks guys

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Connectivity // Telecommunications // Internet News All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: