• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

Need help with this?

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Macintosh

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Neo0019
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:48 pm    Post subject: Need help with this? Reply with quote

I downloaded darwin 8.1 cd when I try to load my computer from it, a lot of text appears on the display, that said has no kernel dependency, after that is over it just stays there than like every 10-20s this comes up " still waiting for root device " can anybody explain to me what this means I have try to run other OS on my mac like ubuntu, and knopixx with no luck ubuntu just stays stuck on a white screen, and knopixx doesnt eve load up, I was wondering is there something wrong with my computer? can someone Please explain this to me, and possibly give me a solution.

Thanks in advance,

Neo
ryansutton
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Neo, have you been downloading the versions that are ported to a Mac? If Knopixx wont even load it sounds like it's not recognizing your hardware.
RFmax
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Darwin application did you exactly select and download?

Knoppix is built to run on the x86 cpu architecture (386, 486, Pentium 1 2 3 4, Celeron, AMD Duron, Athlon, Opteron, etc). The Apple machines use a G4 or G5 which is a PowerPC CPU. The only way I know of running knoppix on your ibook is to first load up VirtualPC.

You can use Ubuntu Linux which is made for the PowerPC cpu. Ubuntu two types of CDs, one that runs only from CD and the other is installable to the hard drive. You can find them at http://www.ubuntulinux.org/download/

Last edited by RFmax on Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Neo0019
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RFmax wrote:
What Darwin application did you exactly select and download?

Knoppix is built to run on the x86 cpu architecture (386, 486, Pentium 1 2 3 4, Celeron, AMD Duron, Athlon, Opteron, etc). The Apple machines use a G4 or G5 which is a PowerPC CPU. The only way you could run knoppix on your ibook is to first load up VirtualPC.

You can use Ubuntu Linux which is made for the PowerPC cpu. Ubuntu two types of CDs, one that runs only from CD and the other is installable to the hard drive. You can find them at http://www.ubuntulinux.org/download/

I got 8.0.1 the lates one I think, I dl both versions of ubuntu, and nothing they both only go as far as the white scree that is it, nothing more Darwin I though I could run than I get some app so I could than do some network exploitment ( my own ) but nothing I have no Idea of what is going on.
RFmax
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had better luck with Fink, you might want to look at their site.

http://fink.sourceforge.net/

You do have to be very careful and follow the configuration exactly or the application will not work correctly.
moondoggie
Lurker
Lurker

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a question about your hardware: what mac is this for and have you made any hardware changes from the factory originals?
Neo0019
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moondoggie wrote:
i have a question about your hardware: what mac is this for and have you made any hardware changes from the factory originals?

Is the new iMac iSight, G5 I haven't change anything on it but add more ram what could the problem be?
Neo0019
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RFmax wrote:
I have had better luck with Fink, you might want to look at their site.

http://fink.sourceforge.net/

You do have to be very careful and follow the configuration exactly or the application will not work correctly.

I mean is it eve possible to use this iMac to hack my network?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Macintosh All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: