• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

Wireless Connection issues... VERY ANNOYED

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Connectivity // Telecommunications // Internet News

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mr_brighttt
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:43 am    Post subject: Wireless Connection issues... VERY ANNOYED Reply with quote

I have a PC, currently on, which is wired for the internet, and a laptop with wireless, has worked fine until this winter when it has started to cut out for days at a time for no apparent reason. I have tried resetting the wireless router, and the cable modem, and repairing the wireless connection, the repair option does not work because it cant connect to the wireless network.. any suggestions?
AdamV
SF Mod
SF Mod

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the usual suggestion really - search the forum before posting your questions
we have dealt with a variety of very similar questions recently.
check for interference from other networks, make sure your network is secured and has a unique SSID and is set in the preferred networks list (of WZC or the vendor's own tool)
RFmax
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just curious as to if you live in a townhome or apartment situation? Your situation seems to depict one where you have been the only wireless connection for a period of time and now there other wireless networks in the area. Eliza was expedient in her points and you should check them out.

Just my humble opinion.
mr_brighttt
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no townhome, just a normal house-not sure how to do any of that, yes it is in the preferred list... pm me if it is easier
AdamV
SF Mod
SF Mod

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you view available networks, can you see any others? If so they could be interfering. Changing your channel to one of the three non-overlapping ones might help (1,6,11 assuming you are using 802.11b/g)

You haven't bought a cordless phone recently?
mr_brighttt
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i have bought a new cordless set, but it has done this before these new phones, the phones are set to 5.8Ghz how i bought them and my router is 2.4 ghz, and right now i'm on my laptop, on the internet, but im trying to figure out what did it and what i can do to stop it, fiddling with settings and what not... if i view available wireless networks there is my home network, and a linksys one.. but that has been on there since the purcahse of the computer i think.. so anything i can do to ensure or help keep the wireless signal would be great, distance is not an issues merely two rooms away 20 feet max--and how would i change the channels.. i am using a d-link router if you need the model number tell me
apperrault
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last line of your post made me think of something. That D-link router, did you by any chance upgrade that firmware about the time that this started happening? I have one, and so did my previous boss. He upgraded the firmware and started having all sorts of problems, such as lost connectivity etc. I havent upgraded my firmware and everything is working fine. He actually ended up buying a new Router because D-Link could never get it to work properly again.

Just my $0.02 worth.

app
AdamV
SF Mod
SF Mod

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you check your user info for the router that should tell you how to change channels.
most routers have a web interface so if you know the IP address, just open a browser and put it in as the address.
(if you don't know the address do start > run > type ipconfig <enter> and look for the default gateway. 99% of the time on a home LAN this will be the router itself, use this address (a.b.c.d) as the web address)

You will need a username and password, again this is in your docs unless you changed it.

once in, you should find something like "wireless settings" - change the channel to something else (1, 6 or 11) and see if it improves.
mr_brighttt
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i haven't upgraded it manually at least, and i would doubt that it would do it automatically right? but the answer to your question, no I haven't, but have to add the "I" part in case it is automatically done

ok, thanks to everybody i can try changing the channel... should i try this on my laptop or the PC that is wired to the router?

PLease do not double post. Use the edit button instead.~groovicus
AdamV
SF Mod
SF Mod

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

any machine on the wired or wireless LAN that can connect to the router's web page is fine.
RFmax
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AdamV is correct, but if you are using a wireless connection to the device and you change the channel, you may lose connection to the device. It is my humble opinion always best to make changes to a device while connected via an ethernet cable.
AdamV
SF Mod
SF Mod

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good call, yes you would temprarily lose connection so wired is probably easier.
Incidentally, on a general point, corporate level APs often [can be configured so it] won't allow configuration over the wireless interface, only the wired

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Connectivity // Telecommunications // Internet News All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: