• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

Continually Delete Executables

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Programming and More

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BluechipJ
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2002 5:17 am    Post subject: Continually Delete Executables Reply with quote

I need a simple script .vbs (or program) programmed that will do the following (under Win2K Pro SP2):
- delete all *.exe (executables) in the directory D:\My Documents and D:\Downloads
- this script would continually monitor the directories (not just run once (else it could be a batch file) and delete the applications

This would prevent users from downloading from the Internet or bringing in applications from home.

I have "RestrictRun" on the computers but some people have figured out that they can bring in applications on CD or floppy, rename them to a common program such as "iexplore.exe" or "notepad.exe" and run them.

Any help or information is appreciated. TIA.
ShaolinTiger
Forum Fanatic
Forum Fanatic

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2002 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Er why don't you make the whole computer read only to the user?

Then give admin applications write access to the temp directories they need.

You can never stop users completely, for example we used to install whole copies of Quake2 in the /winnt/desktop/blehbleh/quake2 folder Smile
BluechipJ
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2002 3:21 pm    Post subject: Delete *.exe Reply with quote

I have blocked off everything I can think of.

I thought of running a batch file that would continually loop and delete files and call it from a .vbs file (so no window appears). However, this causes CPU utiliziation jump to 100% and slows down the computer considerably. I don't know what I can do besides learning VB or VBScript and programming something... Sad

Is there a script that can be used to check the path of an executable and if it is from the floppy (A or CD-ROM (F then deny the program?

I've locked down the workstations using RestrictRun and a whole bunch of other things but some students have finally figured out that they can rename executables brought from home, or downloaded into the common programs such as "iexplore.exe" (Internet Explorer) and then the program will run.

Any help or information is appreciated. TIA
ThaVolt
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2002 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im working on it.. does the file only needs to delete .exe? and ofcourse u want the students not to close the program..? mail me some more details and ill give u the code for it.. jelmersadres@hotmail.com

Greetings[/url]
BluechipJ
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2002 8:11 pm    Post subject: Executables from Floppies, CDs, and Network Reply with quote

I've made it so that no files existing in the errant folders (D:\Downloads, D:\My Documents) can be executed. That has stopped programs from being run. (This was done with Windows 2000 folder permissions.)

However, there is still 1 way that they can be brought in and run and that is from floppies, CDs, and over the network. No one has figured this out yet but then all the students are out on summer vacation.

Windows 2000 removed permissions on removable drives such as floppies and CDs. I do not know of any way that I can stop the execution of an .exe from a floppy, CD, or across the network.

I doubt there is a simple solution to this (and I have only 2 weeks to find one, if it exists, and implement it).

Any help or information is appreciated.

Bluechip

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Programming and More All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: