• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

SQL 7 Problem

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Databases

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wickerandvine

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 10:13 am    Post subject: SQL 7 Problem Reply with quote

Good day!

I am using MS SQL7 server and am using an inhouse program for (Daily Time Record) DTR. Now the problem that I encountered is this:

When I try to transfer some data from DTR to our inhouse HRIS program I get an error saying "Violation of Primary Key, constraint 'PK_t_selected_in_out_orig' cannot insert duplicate key in object 't_selected_in_out' "

I have learned from other source that the our SQL7 database is already full or has reached is limit as to how much data it can store.
Is there a way to increase this limit, if so, how can I do it?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I also have another problem, it is something like this:
In inputting data to our database for the payroll, we had a mistake on the data we input. So we did a restoration. When we choose the restoration database, it said that the file w20070521.bak cannot be found so what we did is choose the other and only available file which is w20070523.bak. We did a successful restoration but the problem is still the same. By the way, our MS SQL7 is doing an overwrite backup.

I hope that someone out there has the answer to these two problems. Especially the first one. Hoping for an immdiate response.

Thank you...
AdamV
SF Mod
SF Mod

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SQL 7 full? could be, but that would be fairly huge.
Is it more likely that some field which is incremented to be unique has overflowed it's capacity, eg a four-digit field is trying to increment to 10,000 and falls back to 0000, which a) causes this to no longer be unique and b)could be considered to be "too much" data.

How big is the databse (as a good indicator, how big are the database backup files)?

These backups / dumps which are overwritten, are they also then backed off to external media eg tapes?

Are the trransaction logs truncated when the backup is run? If not, the problwm may be the transaction logs filling the drive, not the actual data. Make a clean backup and truncate the logs to clear them out.
wickerandvine

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not know if the transactions logs are truncated. How do I know? Or where shall I go to find out if it is truncated? If the transaction logs are filling up how do I back it up and truncate it? Please do help me out with the step by step process. I am using MS SQL 7.0 I know it is pretty old.

I have a question. If I will replace MS SQL 7.0 with MS SQL 2000, will it have a difference? or can I migrate from SQL 7.0 to 2000?

Quote:
SQL 7 full? could be, but that would be fairly huge.
Is it more likely that some field which is incremented to be unique has overflowed it's capacity, eg a four-digit field is trying to increment to 10,000 and falls back to 0000, which a) causes this to no longer be unique and b)could be considered to be "too much" data.

How do I handle this?
Groovicus
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You first verify that it is indeed the problem. I don't know what sort of access that you have, but I would try to manually insert a record and see if sql gives an error that is more helpful. Or another way to do it is to see how many records are in that table. Once a person sees how much data is in the table, one can then figure out a way to alter the table.

Without knowing exactly what sort of access you have to the database, I'm hesitant to give any advice that might bring down a production system.

As far as migrating from SQL 7.0 to SQL 2000, that isn't going to fix any problems. Assuming that Adam is right (and I think he is), the way the table was constructed is still going to be a problem. Plus you will be giving yourself additional problems by having to migrate everything over. There are tools to help you accomplish the job, but you are going to want to have it set up on a test system first so that you can rehearse the steps you need, and hopefully discover any incompatibility problems before you mess with the production system.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Databases All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: