• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

Installing RAM

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Hardware // Upgrades

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wats
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 7:51 pm    Post subject: Installing RAM Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm trying to install 256mb of SD RAM into my Dell 4300 Dimension desktop. I know this is generally a very simple process however, when I boot up my computer with the new RAM (2 ram sticks inserted into the motherboard) I encounter an issue when the computer boots up. It says it expected " " but encountered " ". It won't run until I power down and remove the RAM again. The new RAM stick reads as follows:
Hynix 612AA HY57V56820CTP KOR

I'm not very technical - as you can tell - but I believe this RAM was built to work with my current hardware - 1.33mhz?

The piece of RAM is physically smaller than the one that's currently inserted, so perhaps it's not compatible?

Is there anyone that can help me out with this? I have a crappy computer that I'm just trying to make functional for me (i.e. not waiting minutes at a time because I'm running XP on 256 mb).

Thanks,

Wats
larsmhansen
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on the following page, your computer needs 168 pin, PC133 memory.
http://www.crucial.com/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=F8014B87A5CA7304

The information you listed appears to be for a single chip, not for the entire memory stick, and as such doesn't really help much. It may be 133MHz, but without specifics, it's hard to tell if the memory stick will be suitable or not.

Are there any other labels on those new sticks to better identify what they are?

Is there actually text missing in the error messages you are getting? Have you gone into the BIOS to see if the memory is actually recognized and that it's not merely warning you of a change and for you to confirm it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Wats
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted to clear one thing up. I'm adding a stick of RAM to the motherboard that already contains one stick (the original). I'm not installing two new sticks.

There is nothing on the labels that is missing, I've captured everything that I can see.

In terms of the error message - it occurs pre boot and the message is exactly as follows:

Memory write/read failure @ SFF90000, read F984F916 expecting F916F916
Memory address line failer at 2FF9000, read F916F916 expecting 06060606

Then after a few more boot retries a message comes up:
Alert 1! Previous attempts at booting this system have failed at checkpoint (Vcls). For help in resolving this problem, please note this checkpoint and contact Dell technical support.

I haven't gone into BIOS because 1 I can't get passed this screen, and 2 because I don't know how to do that.

I really appreciate your help with this matter.

Thanks,

Wats
moondoggie
Lurker
Lurker

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if it's a dell, then you push F2 when you see the dell startup screen after you power on the system to get into the bios. most likely you are mixing two different speeds of ram. they are only meant to fit one way and will not fit into a slot they don't belong. but pc100 fits the same as pc133 and mixing the two speeds is not recommended.
wozza70
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some boards are very fussy about what type of RAM you use. Sometimes down to manufacturer etc. It is always best to use matched pairs of RAM if possible.

Hope this general advice is useful.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Hardware // Upgrades All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: