• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

Mirroring of windows 2003 server

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Exchange 2000 // 2003 // 2007 & Active Directory

View previous topic :: View next topic  
6D72
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:01 pm    Post subject: Mirroring of windows 2003 server Reply with quote

Hi,

Before i describe my problem, i would like to say, that i have done a lot of research on the issue. Through google, this site and some other places. This helped me a lot and i already have solved a part of the problem. However i am unsure about the missing part and hope somebody in here can help me out with it. Thanks.

I have a win2k3(s1) r2 server with following roles configured and running:

- Domain controller
- Application server
- DNS server
- DHCP Server

I have now prepared another win2k3 r2(s2) server. I want this server to mirror s1. The idea is that when the s1 is down, the s2 should take over without the clients noticing anything.

I have succeeded in mirroring the domain controller part. The AD is now being replicated between both servers. The next step is dns and dhcp.

I know how to setup the dns on the new server, but i am unsure about the replication of the dns with the first server. When i setup the dns it asks for the zone name. Does the zone name have to be the same as in the existing domain server? and can both servers be setup as primary zones at the same time?

What about if created a dns backup on the existing server and then restored it on the new server?
graycat
SF Mod
SF Mod

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The DNS is really easy - simply add the role to the secondary server, tell it to be part of an existing DNS structure and use AD integrated for the zone type. This will mean it'll replicate the primary one as long as they're both using AD int

The DHCP is a bit trickier. You can migrate an exact copy of the DHCP setup however you'll have the servers fight to issue IP addresses. Best thing to do would be to cut your IP range in half and have server 1 issue one half and server two issue the other. This way, if either dies then your clients will still get IP's from the other one. If you've got too many clients to cover in half of your subnet then think about how you reserve the halves so you can quickly activate them on either machine.

There's a handy blog post on migrating DHCP servers and some of the issues you might run into over here. But then I'm biased slightly Smile lol
6D72
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for your help. Sorry for the late reply. I messed up my leg during a football game. Shocked

AD and DNS being replicated now and working. Now i will try to look at DHCP.

Tank you.
graycat
SF Mod
SF Mod

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no problems. Hope you're ok and the leg heals well.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Exchange 2000 // 2003 // 2007 & Active Directory All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: