• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

Upgrading HDD

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Macintosh

View previous topic :: View next topic  
graycat
SF Mod
SF Mod

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:59 pm    Post subject: Upgrading HDD Reply with quote

afternoon, all
I'm looking to upgrade my MacBook's hdd from the original 160Gb to a (much) larger drive. what's the best way to go about cloning the machine to this new drive?
graycat
SF Mod
SF Mod

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as way of a sly bump I'm happy to report I've now got a lovely WD 500Gb drive to go in the sMacBook.

Just need to work out the best way to "clone" it now.

From what I've read there seems to be a few ways using primarily Time Machine, Migration Assistant, Carbon Copy Clone and SuperDuper. All of which say to clone to an ext drive, boot off that to test, swap internal drives, restore from external.

To me this sounds unnecessarily complex.

In a windows machine, I'd clone the existing internal drive to the new one via a enclosure then just swap them over. Job done.

Any suggestions?
Tobywuk
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you just copy your home directory to an external device, Install a nice fresh copy of OSX on the new drive and restore your home dir?

Im interested in upgrading my macbook pro's hard drive. What drive did you get and how much did it cost you? Also how did you install the new one? is your macbook's warranty still valid?
graycat
SF Mod
SF Mod

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tobywuk wrote:
Could you just copy your home directory to an external device, Install a nice fresh copy of OSX on the new drive and restore your home dir?

Sure I could but I didn't want to have to reinstall all my applications etc and reconfigure the machine to my liking. Smile

Tobywuk wrote:
Im interested in upgrading my macbook pro's hard drive. What drive did you get and how much did it cost you? Also how did you install the new one? is your macbook's warranty still valid?
I got a WD 500Gb Scorpio Blue for about £100 delivered.

The actual swapping of hard drives is pretty easy and only takes about two minutes. There's a few videos on youtube that'll guide you through the process.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Macintosh All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: