• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

Replace new hard drive

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Hardware // Upgrades

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vimal Dhiman
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:38 pm    Post subject: Replace new hard drive Reply with quote

Hi, I have IBM eServer xSeries 225 (8647) server and installed active directory and also share many folders. now its hard drive making noise. server configure inbuilt hardware raid how can change hard drive and i want all server data and AD and users as it is.. how it could be possible. the original size of hard disk is 40gb. can I upgrade it but i need all data and server as it is...please give me any solution
thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
KingMusto
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there

Hardware Issue
ok, if you are using RAID 1, you can remove the bad hard drive and replace it with a new one and your system will be fine. If you are using RAID5 the same applies.

AD Issue
Do you only have one Domain Controller? If you have two, you don't have anything to worry about! As the Active Directory database will be replicating to the other DC but of course you might want to check that.

If you don't have another DC I would build one, check everything has replicated ok - then transfer the FSMO roles from this dodgy server to the new DC, also make sure the new DC is a Global Catalog server. Then I would depromote this dodgy DC so that it is no longer a domain controller - remove it from the domain, so it is no longer a member server - rebuild the server, join it back to the domain, then repromote it as a DC

By rebuilding the server you can put the new disk in and a have a fresh build of your OS - of course this is overkill but if you feel really concerned about the dodgy server then this is what you could do.

File Shares
Generally I don't use my DCs as a file server for lots of reasons, one of them being if the DC needs to go down for maintenance - the users will not be able to access their files......

I would advice moving these shares to another server if posible - but make sure you back them up - this little project will need to be done out of hours I think Smile

And of course it would be wise to make a full backup of this server for obvious reasons before you do any of this. Make sure you select the system state if you are using Windows Backup so that you get the AD backedup.

If you are using Server 2008 becareful about using their backup - make sure you backup to a share, not a volume or you may find that you lose a lot of data on the volume you select for the backup to be saved to Smile

Hope this helps

Musto

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Hardware // Upgrades All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: