• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

vsftpd configuration

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> UNIX // GNU/Linux

View previous topic :: View next topic  
graycat
SF Mod
SF Mod

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:24 pm    Post subject: vsftpd configuration Reply with quote

greetings techno-ninjas!

I'm having a look at open source FTP servers this month for a work project to replace our windows based installation and more specifically leaning towards vsftpd at the moment.

I've installed various FTP applications as tests etc but am running into a problem setting up the folder structure and permissions.

Our current file structure on the Windows FTP server looks a bit like this:
Code:
Group
  |___ Project01
             |_____ Sent
             |_____ Received
  |___ Project02
             |_____ Sent
             |_____ Received

This is repeated for multiple times for different groups and projects. Each group has their own "power users" for looking after their own area where as each project may have multiple dedicated accounts for external clients that only have access to those folders.

so my questions is ..... is this possible using vsftpd and CentOS? if so, how the do I set this up?

Cheero.
graycat
SF Mod
SF Mod

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To answer my own question - yes, you can. Well kind of at least.

The method I found using virtual users chroot'd to their home dir's is to move certain user's home dir to higher up the folder tree.

For example you'd have the data stored under /ftp/home/group with subfolders for projects etc. using "user_config_dir=/etc/vsftpd/vsftpd_config_user" in the vsftpd.config file you can specify settings such as home dir for each user.
ie: add "user_config_dir=/etc/vsftpd/vsftpd_config_user" into the vsftpd.config, create a file called user1 under /etc/vsftpd/vsftpd_config_user and add "local_root=/ftp/home/group" as the home dir for user1. Now whenever user1 logs in they are directed immediately to /ftp/home/group and can't go any higher up the tree.

The different permissions for individual users I've got stuck on as they're all virtual users so have no local tie in. In the end I've gone a slightly different route but still worth a look.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> UNIX // GNU/Linux All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: