• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

HELP! Hard Drive Recovery Questions.

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Hardware // Upgrades

View previous topic :: View next topic  
funky_pat
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:05 pm    Post subject: HELP! Hard Drive Recovery Questions. Reply with quote

Skip the first paragraph below unless you want to know the reason I'm asking this question.

My Macbook hard drive has failed. When I try starting it up, it doesn't go past a white screen with a "no trespassing" symbol on it. I have tried using the reinstall disks but nothing happens and the disks just get stuck. The data may or may not be recoverable. The Genius Bar could not handle my case, so they recommended me to Tekserve. I went to Tekserve and they told me they would try to get the desired data off and place it onto an external hard drive. However, they said that if they got everything off that I wanted, then the charge would be something over $800. I have done some research and discovered that the price is most likely around the same (and can be more) wherever you go.

Before I shell out this amount of cash, does anyone know how data recovery works exactly?

To narrow this question down, I'm wondering specifically about two things:

(1) Why can't they just automatically get all of my data off, instead of asking me what specific data I want off?

(2) How secure is my data (can I trust that they won't be opening files, or even looking at file names that may suggest important private information?)?
Fire Ant
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

800 bucks what a rip off! Surely you could take the drive out and plug it into a caddy to see if you can get the data off. Thats all they will do. I doubt they have the capability to get data from systems where the disk has to be taken apart. If the disk is truly borked then you can approach a data recovery company to get it off.

Quote:
How secure is my data (can I trust that they won't be opening files, or even looking at file names that may suggest important private information?)?
Ha, ask Garry Glitter! You are asking them to read the data. Whilst they shouldn't read it if you have something dodgy on their then I consider it there public duty to report it to the authorities.

Matt_s

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Hardware // Upgrades All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: