• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

Linux Ubuntu, dual boot installation problem during parti..

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> UNIX // GNU/Linux

View previous topic :: View next topic  
smith785
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:12 pm    Post subject: Linux Ubuntu, dual boot installation problem during parti.. Reply with quote

Hi friends! any expert on Linux Ubuntu.
1. I have windows xp on my notebook compaq presario v2000.
2. Wanted to load linux as dual boot.
3. Tried with Suse linux, but there was some blank or black screen problem after installation.
4. Someone suggested Ubuntu linux.
5. Downloaded and burned ubuntu on a cd.
6. But this time during installation during partitioning there was a serious problem.
7. On ubuntu webpage they say for partiioning i will get 4 option, but i got only three options in my cd.
8. The missing option was the most important , which was required for dual boot. " Guided resize and use free space".
9. So i had to abort my Ubuntu installation as using any other option could have effected my current xp installation or might have formated my whole notebook.
10. So any comment why the dual boot partitioning option was absent in my ubuntu cd.
11. Or there is some thing to be activated in my notebook setting to enable dual boot.
12. Waiting for your expert comments.
13. Thanks!!!

[
DHay13
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my opinion would be to use a virtual machine such as MS virtual PC or virtualbox and install ubuntu there. much cleaner and easier way of using linux.
capi
SF Senior Mod
SF Senior Mod

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DHay13 wrote:
my opinion would be to use a virtual machine such as MS virtual PC or virtualbox and install ubuntu there. much cleaner and easier way of using linux.

Uh... no. It is perfectly legitimate, useful and normal to want to choose between both OSes at boot.

smith785 wrote:
8. The missing option was the most important , which was required for dual boot. " Guided resize and use free space".

Which version of Ubuntu are you trying to install? I assume it's the latest desktop version, 9.10?

It is possible that the guide you are following is simply outdated. The installer for Ubuntu 9.10 should show you something like this: http://news.softpedia.com/images/extra/LINUX/large/ubuntu910installation-large_007a.jpg

If that's the case, you would want to choose the first option, "Install them side by side, choosing between them each startup"

In any case, let's be sure before doing anything. Can you tell us which options do show in the partitioning screen, and how does it detect your existing partitions? (the stuff that shows on the colored bar at the top)

By the way, the above screenshot comes from this guide: http://news.softpedia.com/news/Installing-Ubuntu-9-10-126370.shtml -- I just found it on Google while searching for images, but it seems to be friendly enough for an inexperienced user to follow. If you do follow that guide, just remember: in the partitioning part be sure to choose the automatic option, unless you're comfortable with resizing and formatting partitions manually.
DHay13
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't say it wasn't legitimate, I just like that option better. I have had several PC's dual and triple booted but after installing them in a VM I think that is the way to go. There are probably certain circumstances where a VM isn't quite as feasible but for the average user that would be rare. I think the biggest difference for me is the ease of switching from one to the other, say XP to Ubuntu. With a dual boot you must re-start the machine. With a VM you can have both running and just change active windows.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> UNIX // GNU/Linux All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: