• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

Virtualising a network

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Networking

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bugs_whats_up_doc
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:03 pm    Post subject: Virtualising a network Reply with quote

Iv just got myself a nice dual core 4 GB RAM laptop, and i`m like to start playing round with different servers and stuff in a virtual environment using the laptop. Is it possible to create that kind of thing in vmware player or ms virtual PC or is there any other freeware solution, my laptop is windows 7 which I cant really change.

Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
capi
SF Senior Mod
SF Senior Mod

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is quite possible indeed. Just create the virtual machines and set them up on the same virtual network; it will be as though they are all on the same virtual switch.

If you set all the VMs to "host-only" network, they will only be able to communicate with each other and with the laptop (they won't have direct connectivity to the outside world).

If you need external connectivity, you can set the VMs to a NAT network, which means the laptop will function as a NAT router (using the VMWare NAT service), giving them access to the outside. Alternatively, you can keep the host-only network and configure your laptop to act as a router; that would give you more control over what can go where.

You can achieve all this using VMWare, or its free (and open source) competitor VirtualBox. You can most likely do it in MS Virtual PC too, but I don't really use that.
bugs_whats_up_doc
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont think virtualbox is Win7 compatible unless someone can tell me otherwise.

also which VMware should I go for Server or workstation, I cant find much on the website about the networking side of things.

Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DHay13
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Virtualbox is Windows 7 compatible, I have it on both of my 7 machines. VMWare is nice, but not free. I have used trial versions of it and Virtualbox is just as good. I have version 3.2.12 on my desktop and 4.0.* on my laptop. No problems with either.
I have also used PFSense (open source also) in a VM as a GUI to control the network.
bugs_whats_up_doc
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx Guys,

DHay13, I have looked on the FPsense site and its a router/firewall although you already knew that.

How do you use FPsense to control the network, it reads as though all it does is route and firewalls.
DHay13
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly don't recall the details. We used it about a year ago in a class I was taking. We only used it as an interface to the routers and switches. I'm not sure what else it is capable of. It worked very well for what we did.

After thinking about it you might be right. We might have only used it for firewall control. I don't even have the setup configured any more.
georgec
SF Staff
SF Staff

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go for VirtualBox but I wonder how productive you can be with a laptop of limited storage space!

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Networking All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: