• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

Windows Explorer pop-up error message

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Windows

View previous topic :: View next topic  
aj_law
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:49 am    Post subject: Windows Explorer pop-up error message Reply with quote

I received some great help from SifuMike (BTW, thank you again) in the Hijackthis Logs/Malware Removal forum last year with a virus/malware issue and I'm hoping that someone can help my with my current PC problem too.

If this isn't the proper forum, hopefully someone can point me in the right direction. I don't think it's virus or malware related, but wtf do I know. That's why I'm here -- to try to get help from some experts.

Anyway, If I try to go to My Computer, My Documents, My Pictures, etc. and access some folders, I get a Windows Explorer --- "Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience" pop up message. It also happens if I try to access the Control Panel too. That seems to be the only issue that's occurring at the moment. All other programs appear to be functioning correctly and web browsing isn't limited in any way.

Does anyone know the nature of this problem and what's the best solution? Hopefully, there is one that doesn't involve reformatting or reinstalling the OS. Again, it doesn't appear to be virus related; more of a Windows issue.

A quick and crude Google search revealed some recommendations to run a System File Checker (sfc /scannow) program, but that didn't really do anything.

I thought I'd hit this forum up for some guidance because Mike in the other forum was very knowledgeable and was able to fix my problem so I'm hoping to have the same luck here.

Help! Please!

Thanks in advance.
aj_law
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RobertWacek wrote:
Try to restore your system to the date that you did not have that problem. It should work.

That was one of the first things I tried. Didn't work.
georgec
SF Staff
SF Staff

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try to repair your system using windows boot disk. Check this article http://www.windows7library.com/blog/winrecover/booting-from-the-system-repair-disc/
aj_law
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a system boot disk. We've moved a couple times in the last two years and I think it got lost in the shuffle.

Also, I probably should've mentioned in my first post that I'm running XP Pro.
georgec
SF Staff
SF Staff

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can google it, there are a number of free downloads out there!
Also, by pressing F8 during the boot-up process you can access a repair function but may ask you for the installation media!

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Windows All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: