• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

.ost to .pst

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Exchange 2000 // 2003 // 2007 & Active Directory

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bannerd
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:49 pm    Post subject: .ost to .pst Reply with quote

Hello, is there anyway to convert a .ost to .pst? I surf google and tried many applications, recovery for exchange 2.0 work...but it only does a certain amount of emails. I need to convert them all. Are there any free programs out there that will convert?

Thanks

--bannerd
AdamV
SF Mod
SF Mod

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if the .ost files belong to current users (so they are not "orphaned") then they should only be replicas of what is in exchange
you could use exmerge to get the data out of Exchange into a pst file per user.

or am I missing something?
Bannerd
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Eliza,

Basically the exchange server had over 1200 bugs in it and was getting hammered. I don't really have exchange at my finger tips. But since the exchange server is down, many of the people that were connected to it still have the .ost file. Basically I need to convert that, or some how load that into outlook 2003 and possible send the mail they need to their inbox? Right now we run a pop3 server on freebsd, I would like to install @mail in the near future and get everyone off outlook and make email striclty webmail. It's about 4,000 for the application itself, then again, long term plans.

So I guess i'm looking for a application, I could setup exchange 2000 I suppose and give it a try.

Thanks.
AdamV
SF Mod
SF Mod

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

something along these lines:
disconnect machine from LAn
log on using cached creds
open outlook (should use ost without difficulty)
file > export > export to a file > pst file
give it a sensible name etc. (I would advise something like user-mail.pst, not outlook.pst as the default - this way you can copy them around, back them up etc without losing track of which is whose)

If you want to use a pst as the main storage for their email, that's under tools > email accounts > add a directory. You will need to fiddle to get it to be the default.

then set up POP or whatever as your temporary solution to get mail to them

does that make sense?

(I know it wuld be a real PITA for many users, but if you think Exchange is seriously dead this might be a way out)
Bannerd
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HAHA, yes, exchange is seriously dead, we no longer use it, I use freebsd running postfix. Just exchange left alot of mailboxs behind (.ost). Everyone wants there mail ( I hate when people use their mail, they never delete it).

Basically I will setup a trial version of windows 2000 server and exchange 2000 Hopefully I can convert .ost to .pst using the tool you addressed.

Thanks Eliza.
AdamV
SF Mod
SF Mod

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

interestingly, one of the google ads under this thread reads:

"recover .ost files
Convert orphaned .ost to .pst files service"

link

Offered as a service but they link to a software solution as well (I haven't followed any further)

since the ost files are tied to users in exchange / AD I'm not sure how you would go about do ing this with a fresh installation.

surely it must be documented somewhere by MS? I'll have a rummage around.
graycat
SF Mod
SF Mod

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thread locked due to excessive spambot action.

If you have something to add to this thread, please PM a mod who will unlock it for you.

Many thanks and keep posting! Smile

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Exchange 2000 // 2003 // 2007 & Active Directory All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: