My list of links for exchange newbies.

Networking/Security Forums -> Exchange 2000 // 2003 // 2007 & Active Directory

Author: subsoniq PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 9:12 pm    Post subject: My list of links for exchange newbies.
    ----
I've been an exchange admin for over 10 years, I also run some exchange help chat rooms on the EFnet IRC network (#exchange, #exchange2000, & #exchange2003). I've seen a lot of people come in asking for help because they didn't know anything about exchange and made a mistake that basic knowledge of exchange would have prevented, so over the years I've put together some links to help newbies and less experienced admins learn about administering an exchange system, or finding help when you're in trouble.

My exchange bookmarks

This is a bookmark sharing site so as I update my bookmarks this will be updated, makes it a lot easier to share relevant links and remove old ones that don't work anymore, or are no longer applicable.

Last edited by subsoniq on Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:59 am; edited 1 time in total

Author: devicemanagerLocation: Warminster, PA PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:38 am    Post subject:
    ----
Thanks for the links man! While i got you is there a way that I can create a batch file to stop all exchange services?

Author: apperraultLocation: Emeryville, CA PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:26 am    Post subject:
    ----
I have a script at my office that does this. If i can't find it, it is pretty easy to make. Getting the order right is the tough thing.

I will look when i get to the office tomorrow morning.

You could probably make this yourself. if you can find the proper order to stop the services, you just need to create a file that says:

Code:
echo off
net stop SERVICE NAME
net stop SERVICE NAME

etc down the line for all the services.

and that is it.

I will post what i find in the morning.

app

Author: devicemanagerLocation: Warminster, PA PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:17 am    Post subject:
    ----
Thanks man!!!

Author: apperraultLocation: Emeryville, CA PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:34 am    Post subject:
    ----
I am pretty sure that this is the order needed to properly shut down your exchange services:

Code:
net stop MSExchangeES /y
net stop MSExchangeIS /y
net stop MSExchangeMTA /y
net stop MSExchangeSA /y
net stop WinHttpAutoProxySvc /y

I couldn't find our old batch file, but i am 99% sure that this should do it for you. Just put the above information in a file called ExchangeShutdown.bat (or whatever you want to call it) and run it.

Let me know if you have any problems.

app

Author: devicemanagerLocation: Warminster, PA PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:05 pm    Post subject:
    ----
Thanks, I am going to need to bounce that server today - I will give it a shot - thanks man! I will let you know either way...

Author: devicemanagerLocation: Warminster, PA PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:31 pm    Post subject:
    ----
I just want to say thank you, that worked like a charm. I then added a shutdown /s to the batch file and even rebooted the box afterwards - lol! Thanks again...

Author: )shArk>Location: USA PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:36 am    Post subject:
    ----
Using a services shutdown script not only speeds things up, it is recommended for maintaining a healthy Exchange server. And yes, they do need to be stopped or started in proer order.

Have a read here and use the example scripts. http://www.amset.info/exchange/shutdown-script.asp

Hope this helps-

Author: divengrabberLocation: uk PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:46 am    Post subject:
    ----
thanks for sharing your list.

Author: ryansuttonLocation: San Francisco, California PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:11 pm    Post subject:
    ----
zous1 wrote:
Thanks for your share this link, can u update this links which is better for use?

The only interactive Exchange site that I have found helpful is the Microsoft Partner Exchange forum. You do need to be a certified Microsoft partner to access those forums however. There are some decent blogs around that cover specific issues within Exchange too, such as this one.

Outside of that, I would recommend posting any Exchange questions you have here. We have some seasoned Exchange admins here that are happy to help.

Author: georgec PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:56 am    Post subject:
    ----
The top MS Exchange source remains msexchange.org, you can post at http://forums.msexchange.org/

Networking/Security Forums -> Exchange 2000 // 2003 // 2007 & Active Directory

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod, All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Page 1 of 1