Modem Problem

Networking/Security Forums -> Hardware // Upgrades

Author: TheKingsterLocation: UK PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2002 8:27 pm    Post subject: Modem Problem
    ----
Im fixing my mates pc and have the following problem, I don't know what modem is in it! I have taken the case off and had a look at the circuit, but cant see anything on there. I have also looked on the Packard Bell site and I have a list of all the drivers and have installed most of them but none have worked.

Is there any software downloads you can get that might be able to tell me what is in there?

Author: PantaloonieLocation: London, UK PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2002 9:07 pm    Post subject:
    ----
Sisofts Sandra sorted me out when I had the same problem.
Find it here http://www.sisoftware.co.uk

Author: Tom BairLocation: Portland, Oregon USA PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2002 9:13 pm    Post subject:
    ----
Packard Bell systems typically incorporate the Sound4 WinModems, but these modems generally are not detected properly during a Windows install or upgrade.

You might try this:

1. Click Start button, highlight 'Programs', select 'Accessories', and choose HyperTerminal.
2. Double-click the 'Hyperterm' icon.
3. When the program starts, type "TEST" for a name, and proceed.
4. When you are asked for a telephone number, just type 1234 and make sure that the correct modem device is selected from the "Connect Using" drop down menu.
5. Click 'OK' to proceed.
6. Click 'Cancel' (don't actually try to connect) -- this will bring you to the terminal window.
7. Type in "ATE1" (even if you don't see what you type appear on screen) and press the 'Enter' key. The modem should repsond with "OK".
8. Now you can type any AT commands you wish. Try typing "ATi3" or "ATi92" -- these two AT commands will tell you the exact firmware version and TYPE OF MODEM that you are using. For example, my modem responds:

U.S. Robotics Sportster 56K Fax v6.2.145

You also might try downloading the freeware version of ModemDoctor from www.downloads.com -- but I'm not too keen on using it over HyperTerminal.

Tom

Author: TheKingsterLocation: UK PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2002 11:25 pm    Post subject:
    ----
cheers boyz

sorted it now

i just downloaded every driver from PB site and then searched for an update in OPTIONS\CABS.

Author: Tom BairLocation: Portland, Oregon USA PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2002 4:25 am    Post subject:
    ----
Do you remember the name of the update driver from //options/cabs? Thought I might keep it on hand for future reference ... although I tend to refuse to work on Packard Bells anymore, times are getting hard Sad

Tom

Author: TheKingsterLocation: UK PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2002 11:05 am    Post subject:
    ----
Aint got a clue.

I was so chuffed when I found it I didnt care to looking.

Sorry.

Networking/Security Forums -> Hardware // Upgrades

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod, All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Page 1 of 1