SBC Yahoo DSL setup

Networking/Security Forums -> Connectivity // Telecommunications // Internet News

Author: ManHorePPGLocation: texas PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2002 6:20 pm    Post subject: SBC Yahoo DSL setup
    ----
Hi all. This is my first official post. Thanks to the people who set up this handy implementation of phpBB. A guy like me could always use some sound security advice along with advice on the beautiful unix world.

anyhow, I've been around a fair share of "broadband" internet services. Specifically, Road Runner, Cox Comm (cable), Sprint ION (no longer in service, DSL), SBC Yahoo (DSL) and of-coarse, all the nice real lines. My problem is this:

SBC Yahoo is not the High-Speed ISP most guys like me are use too. It uses PPPoE, as far as I can tell. No big deal right? As of yet, i do not know how to install the freaking service unless i have that darn pastel yellow SBC Yahoo install disk. ...I dont like that. not one bit. I know I don't have to use it either to connect. Why? because the magical SOHO router can connect with no problems when i plug it in. So, do i simply just have to install the PPPoE protocol on the proper device? or would there be something more?

Author: ManHorePPGLocation: texas PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2002 6:59 pm    Post subject:
    ----
I think i may be on my way to answering my own question. ...I was digging around for info on PPPoE and found that it's not native to windows unless you run .net or XP. Smile I then found this nifty little site http://user.cs.tu-berlin.de/~normanb/. Me thinks if i install this PPPoE implementation for winders on my 2k server (i know, it should be unix) I'll be in buisness. Very Happy

Author: browolf PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2002 7:27 pm    Post subject:
    ----
iirc there's a ppoe prog for earlier versions of windows called winpoet

Author: flwLocation: U.S.A. PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2002 10:48 pm    Post subject:
    ----
Quote:
As of yet, i do not know how to install the freaking service unless i have that darn pastel yellow SBC Yahoo install disk. ...I dont like that. not one bit

That's because in the U.S. some dsl/cable isp providers use there own proprieitary connection software to decrease the chance of someone from just buying a dsl/cable modem and setting it up.

Author: ManHorePPGLocation: texas PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 8:27 am    Post subject:
    ----
eh, i think that is the goal but i think the method is a bit different. you see, a regular SOHO router (off the shelf) can connect to this service. but a windows machine with the default networking components can not. i think this is because you kinda have to twist windows' arms to talk via PPPoE

Author: b4rtm4nLocation: Bi Mon Sci Fi Con PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 12:00 am    Post subject:
    ----
btw what modem/router do you have to access the net. Drivers for this may be the issue.

Author: ManHorePPGLocation: texas PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 5:02 am    Post subject:
    ----
when i am connecting this server to the SBC Yahoo DSL that i have, there is no router between me and the DSL modem. The router is being replaced by this server. this server has two NICs and will soon handle NAT (network address translation) via windows 2000 built in components. yes, i know, i should be using ipfilter but well... the boss man dont know unix so he dont want somethin he dont know about on his network. Sad i shall soon have the opportunity to connect this beast of an old machine to the network to see if the download i found above works. it installed the PPPoE protocol nicely for the external NIC on teh machine. now i just gotta wait till i get my downtime to try it out.

Networking/Security Forums -> Connectivity // Telecommunications // Internet News

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod, All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Page 1 of 1