Power of ping gone?

Networking/Security Forums -> Connectivity // Telecommunications // Internet News

Author: flwLocation: U.S.A. PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 6:42 am    Post subject: Power of ping gone?
    ----
In the old days of weak (processing power and bandwidth) web servers you could effect the response of them by running ping -t -l 6500 -w 10 domain.com and with timeslicing run multiple instances of it to add to the effect.

With the power and speed of web servers today, is this no longer true if run against a low end but new PC turned into a web server?

Author: big tomLocation: UK PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2002 12:39 am    Post subject:
    ----
urrrrmm.
if you have enough machines / people Wink

heard about some lil script kiddy sending people a trojan that connect to irc and take commands to ping flood hosts. took down a pretty high end server with about 450 odd machines attacking at once Confused

Author: ShaolinTigerLocation: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2002 12:52 am    Post subject:
    ----
dreamer wrote:
urrrrmm.
if you have enough machines / people Wink

heard about some lil script kiddy sending people a trojan that connect to irc and take commands to ping flood hosts. took down a pretty high end server with about 450 odd machines attacking at once Confused

That's common nowdays, Google for Trinoo and Tribal Flood Network.

Also read this:

http://grc.com/dos/grcdos.htm

It all depends on the bandwidth aswell really, and DDoS is the only thing that works now, DoS like pinging someone never really worked unless you were like 1MB vs 56k or you were exploiting some flaw in the OS or TCP/IP stack (The old OOB bluescreen WinNuke).

The things I always found most effective was syn flooding and smurfing with some imaginative spoofed sources thrown in (localhost, multicast addresses, private IP ranges etc.)

You can mangle most stacks if you explore them enough Very Happy

I was never a p4ck3t k|ddie honest...

Author: big tomLocation: UK PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2002 1:01 am    Post subject:
    ----
haha Laughing
1'|\/| 4|\| 3|3373 H4x0r. 1'M g0|\||\|4 p4(|<3T Y0UR 455!

man those damn kiddies piss me off. a group of them once belived me that my IP was 127.0.0.1 Confused

Networking/Security Forums -> Connectivity // Telecommunications // Internet News

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod, All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Page 1 of 1