NTL Broadband Network Architecture

Networking/Security Forums -> Connectivity // Telecommunications // Internet News

Author: Jason PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 5:45 pm    Post subject: NTL Broadband Network Architecture
    ----
Does anyone have any good like about how NTL broadband works after data has left your PC. Ie, from the point it hits the STB, how it is routed onto the internet. How is it different from BT ADSL. Also, what equipment is used, what type of lines etc.

Cheers,

J

Author: chetLocation: Nottingham, UK PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 6:15 pm    Post subject:
    ----
Rather than re-invent the wheel, this link will show you how a cable modem works, pretty much the same as your STB.
If you would like to know more about NTL's specific equipment after you have read through the link, don't hesitate to contact me

Regards

Chet

Author: NetworkguyLocation: UK PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 6:37 pm    Post subject:
    ----
If you are talking about where the data goes, then a quick traceroute will give you a good idea (then take the output and use something like visual route).

As far as equipment goes, NTL (link most ISPs) use mainly Cisco kit to route around the UK. A quick look on the Cisco website wil give you this info.

Author: chetLocation: Nottingham, UK PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 6:45 pm    Post subject:
    ----
We use Cisco for our uBR's and Cable Access Modules but we use Juniper's on the core

Also the usual servers for cable access, TFTP server, DHCP and Time of Day to enable the modem to come on-line

Chet

Author: TheKingsterLocation: UK PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 6:52 pm    Post subject:
    ----
So Chet you work for NTL? Fancy giving me a freebie upgrade to 1meg? Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Author: Jason PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 7:06 pm    Post subject:
    ----
TheKingster wrote:
So Chet you work for NTL? Fancy giving me a freebie upgrade to 1meg? Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Me To... Me To.... Smile

Even upgrading to 1/2 meg would be a dream come true.

Author: TheKingsterLocation: UK PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 7:08 pm    Post subject:
    ----
jasonlambert wrote:
TheKingster wrote:

Me To... Me To.... Smile

Even upgrading to 1/2 meg would be a dream come true.

I asked first man leave it out Very Happy

Author: ShaolinTigerLocation: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 7:15 pm    Post subject:
    ----
How bout laying some cables up to my house so I don't have to have crappy ADSL which aint even getting done till mid-March Sad

Author: TheKingsterLocation: UK PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 7:49 pm    Post subject:
    ----
/me throws shaolin some bandwidth

hehe

Networking/Security Forums -> Connectivity // Telecommunications // Internet News

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod, All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Page 1 of 1