Licensing for MS SQL Server Personal Edition?

Networking/Security Forums -> Databases

Author: manningLocation: Northern Ohio USA PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 5:31 pm    Post subject: Licensing for MS SQL Server Personal Edition?
    ----
Can anybody tell me how licensing works for the Personal Edition option of SQL Server 2000. We own and are running a license of Server 2000 but I also need to install the Personal Edition on a notebook to run a demo version of some warehouse management software and I don't want to get into a license violation situation.

I've looked on Microsoft's site and couldn't find anything helpful.

Thanks!

EDIT Never mind. Google is helpful:

Quote:
Personal Edition
SQL Server Personal Edition is not a separate product, but instead a component of Microsoft SQL Server that is designed to bring SQL Server functionality to desktop applications. It can be installed and used on any Windows® device within an organization provided it is properly licensed with a CAL or connects to a server(s) that is properly licensed in Per-Processor mode.

If SQL Server Personal Edition interfaces with a SQL Server, and then distributes that data to other devices, it is acting as a mutliplexer and SQL Server CALs are required for all devices accessing it. Customers who have licensed their SQL Server in Per-Processor mode can have an unlimited number of connections to that server, whether it be through SQL Server Personal Edition or through direct connections.

Author: zzycatch PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:49 pm    Post subject:
    ----
This may or may not be helpful to you, but have you considered SQL Express?

http://www.microsoft.com/sql/editions/express/default.mspx

Author: manningLocation: Northern Ohio USA PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:17 pm    Post subject:
    ----
Neat. I'm not sure how it will work with the WMS we are demo-ing, I'll check with the software company. They specify SQL 2000 Standard/Personal and we have had issues in the past where newer versions than what they specify for their software don't work.

Thanks for the heads up

Networking/Security Forums -> Databases

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod, All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Page 1 of 1