odbc link to database is unable to connect?

Networking/Security Forums -> Databases

Author: Cep PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:51 pm    Post subject: odbc link to database is unable to connect?
    ----
Hello,

Here we have a win2k3 server which holds our network drive and on this drive resides an access database.

All our client computers use and odbc link with the Microsoft access driver to this database so that they can pull data from it in other programs.

On a test server, also win2k3 sitting on the same domain and with access to the network drive we have created the same link.

However whenever we try to connect we are told,

UNABLE TO CONNECT TO DATABASE

[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] '(unknown)' is not a valid path. Make sure that the path name is spelled correctly and that you are connected to the server on which the file resides.

This is strange because we are able to create odbc links to locally stored databases on the test server but we are just unable to access ones elsewhere.

We don't have any permissions preventing access to this database so why won't it connect?

Moved to database section~Groovicus

Author: GroovicusLocation: Centerville, South Dakota PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:19 pm    Post subject:
    ----
Not that I am too familiar with how Microsoft doesthings in the database world, but it appears from the error message that the path to the driver is not specified. (I'm sure you already figured that out on your own).

From Microsoft:
Quote:
The path that the Web server is reading is not a valid path. Often, this occurs when the Global.asa file is being used, and the connection string is created on a computer other than the Web server. If the path is a mapped drive letter, it is probably only valid for the client computer that created the connection string.

When you say you have all permissions enabled, are you talking about domain permissions, or database permissions?

Author: Cep PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:16 pm    Post subject:
    ----
Hi,

I am referring to permissions on the database and on the network share that is being accessed by the connection string.

I think the only difference in this situation is that normally our clients do this,

client computer -> odbc -> database

but in this situation it is,

client computer -> webserver -> odbc -> database

Networking/Security Forums -> Databases

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod, All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Page 1 of 1