My iMac G5 suddenly goes into standby mode

Networking/Security Forums -> Macintosh

Author: jagmanLocation: Norway PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:14 pm    Post subject: My iMac G5 suddenly goes into standby mode
    ----
Hi,
My G5 is behaving rather strange lately; after a half to one minute of operation it goes black and goes into standby mode. When I wiggle the mouse, it comes back up but another half minute, it goes back to sleep.

Rather annoying! I have turned it off and restarted it, but it's the same.

I am certain that no settings have been altered.

Please help!

Author: Sherman HomanLocation: Norwell, MA PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:53 pm    Post subject:
    ----
It is going to sleep while you are actively using it?!
Sleep settings are in the System Preferences, Energy. When that doesn't seem to work right, you may have a fading logic board battery. The timing would be about right for a G5 at this point. They are easy enough to find, easy to replace.
Try this first, from a cold dead shut down, power up, at the sound of the startup chime immediately hold down the following keys:
Apple Option P R
That will "zap the pram" which will reset the data that the logic board battery remembers. If that fixes the problem temporarily then replace the battery.

Author: jagmanLocation: Norway PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:27 pm    Post subject: My iMac G5 suddenly goes into standby mode
    ----
Thanks Sherman!

Yes, it goes to sleep while I'm actively using it! I will try the prescribed test when I get home.

Cheers,

Author: Sherman HomanLocation: Norwell, MA PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:23 pm    Post subject:
    ----
Bard, check out this from Apple, you may need to reset the System Management Unit:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=300341
But definitely zap the pram first.

Author: jagmanLocation: Norway PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:54 am    Post subject: Mac goes to sleep
    ----
Hi Sherman,

Problem seemed to be fixed. At least temporarily, so I'm replacing the battery.

Your other tip also contained several issues that I'm having, so will also reset SMU/PMU. Hopefully it will again be possible to operate the thing without ear mufflers!

Cheers,
Bard

Author: Sherman HomanLocation: Norwell, MA PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:10 pm    Post subject:
    ----
Those things can sound like a vacuum cleaner when the fans rev up to full blast! The G5s actually had a firmware update that dealt with fan spin up, simply run the software update to make sure you have the right one.

Author: jagmanLocation: Norway PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:55 pm    Post subject: Sleeping beauty
    ----
Which one man? I've followed up and installed all the suggested updates, and in general the unit seems healthy, although a soarly needed RAM upgrade is imminent!

Author: Sherman HomanLocation: Norwell, MA PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:22 pm    Post subject:
    ----
If Software Update doesn't indicate anything then you are fine. Hope this all works out for you!

Networking/Security Forums -> Macintosh

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod, All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Page 1 of 1