Moving Server 2003 DC to new hardware

Networking/Security Forums -> Hardware // Upgrades

Author: ebrolaLocation: Jacksonville, Fl PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:12 pm    Post subject: Moving Server 2003 DC to new hardware
    ----
I have a server that is starting to show the signs of death and I will have the hardware ready to copy it to very soon. In the old days I could do this with Ghost but it has been a couple years since I have had to do this. We would Ghost each "drive" and put it on the hardware/RAID. The hardest part was finding the right Ghost driver for the RAID you were working with.

So question is...what is the best program to imagine each drive (2 mirror sets) onto a new drive on the new Server (2 mirror sets again)?

Thanks.

Author: ebrolaLocation: Jacksonville, Fl PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:09 am    Post subject:
    ----
hmmm...so no one is doing this anymore? If not, what do you do in your pace when you need to replace hardware on a DC?

Author: larsmhansenLocation: Boston, MA, USA PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:16 am    Post subject:
    ----
Take a look at Symantec Backup Exec System Recovery Server Edition. It's similar to ghost in the fashion that it images the system and then restores it. The benefits to this solution is that you can restore your image to a machine with dissimilar hardware without too much of an issue.

There's also Hyper-V, in the event that you want to virtualize your server. With this, you can convert, pretty much on the fly, your server to a virtual machine...

Author: cconk01Location: Maryland PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:53 am    Post subject:
    ----
or you could just dcpromo the new server, move the FSMO roles over to the new machine, make it a GC if its your only DC and then do a dcpromo on the old server and remove it. That's what I would personally do. Though system recovery is great - we use it at a lot of our clients Smile

Author: larsmhansenLocation: Boston, MA, USA PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:47 am    Post subject:
    ----
Nothing wrong with that. You can even upgrade the OS while you're at it doing it that way... I'm loving our new 64 bit Windows 2008 servers.

Author: ebrolaLocation: Jacksonville, Fl PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:09 pm    Post subject:
    ----
larsmhansen wrote:
Take a look at Symantec Backup Exec System Recovery Server Edition. It's similar to ghost in the fashion that it images the system and then restores it. The benefits to this solution is that you can restore your image to a machine with dissimilar hardware without too much of an issue.

There's also Hyper-V, in the event that you want to virtualize your server. With this, you can convert, pretty much on the fly, your server to a virtual machine...

Thank you for the info on the Symantec solution. I will look into that. As for the Hyper-V...we are going virtual in the near future but just not yet...the budget can't afford it right now.

cconk01 wrote:
or you could just dcpromo the new server, move the FSMO roles over to the new machine, make it a GC if its your only DC and then do a dcpromo on the old server and remove it. That's what I would personally do. Though system recovery is great - we use it at a lot of our clients

That would be great and probably should be the way I do it...especially since this is a back up DC. But I need this to be a fast event with as few hiccups as possible.

Please...there are anymore ideas please post them up. I will be doing this in probably 2 more weeks or so.

Networking/Security Forums -> Hardware // Upgrades

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod, All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Page 1 of 1