9800GTX+ SLI - Issue with latest (180.48) drivers

Networking/Security Forums -> Hardware // Upgrades

Author: big tomLocation: UK PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 5:59 pm    Post subject: 9800GTX+ SLI - Issue with latest (180.48) drivers
    ----
Motherboard: Asus M2N-SLI / nForce 560
Processor: AMD Athlon 64X2 6000
RAM: 4GB (2 x 2GB) Corsair XMS2 / PC2-6400 / DDR2 800Mhz
PSU: Targan 1100W
GPU 2 x XFX 9800GTX+ 512MB 765Mhz
OS: Windows XP 32 bit and Windows Vista Business 64 bit

Hey guys. Long time no see Razz

I recently upgraded my computer with another 9800GTX+ - with the goal of running them both in SLI. Windows (XP) crashed on startup and my computer rebooted instantly - having worked perfectly fine with just a single card.

Safe mode worked fine, so I removed the graphics drivers ( 180.48 ) from within safe mode and re-installed version 177.79 that came with the graphics card. Everything then worked fine - SLI and all.

I then tried to install the latest drivers ( 180.48 ) again, but was met with the same crashes. Determined to get the supposed extra performance that the latest drivers should squeeze out of my graphics cards: I tried installing Windows Vista Business 64 bit and then the latest graphics drivers. I got the exact same problems.

So I'm stuck using old drivers for the moment. It wouldn't be that much of a problem but some games (Far Cry 2) complain about my graphics drivers being too old.

It seems unlikely that it's a hardware problem given that it all works fine with older drivers. The cards are definitely getting enough power too - 1100w should be more than enough for anything available.

Has anyone managed to get a similar setup running properly? Or has anyone met similar problems with the latest drivers?

I've seen posts from a few people across the intar-webs that have had similar problems - but I thought I'd pose the question to some of the great minds that reside here Razz

Cheers.

Networking/Security Forums -> Hardware // Upgrades

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod, All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Page 1 of 1