continues acquiring network address

Networking/Security Forums -> Connectivity // Telecommunications // Internet News

Author: kinloss1 PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:58 pm    Post subject: continues acquiring network address
    ----
hi, i have a netgear dg834gt router which is at the main pc, the router is used to connect two laptops wirelessly, however just today one of these laptops running xp will not connect just continues to say acquiring network adress the other laptop running vista is fine, i have tried most things including wisockfix, but nothing the laptop will connect no problem when hardwired to the router, the laptop is using a netgear wg511t pc card, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Author: KingMusto PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:17 am    Post subject:
    ----
Have you considered using Static IPs? if you only have two laptops you might as well turn of DHCP and use static IPs.

I know that doesn't solve your wireless problem but it could be any number of things.

A recent driver update maybe? maybe something with the router, wireless card, could be any number of things really.

Silly question but does your XP client have SP3 installed? this is really a long shot but if you don't have SP3 and you have configured your router to use WPA2 your XP client will not be able to connect.

Do you use MAC filtering? have you changed any settings to your router at all particularly MAC filtering? is it possible that you have made a TYPO error for your MAC address?

Just a few things for you to consider

Author: kinloss1 PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:18 pm    Post subject:
    ----
hi appreciate all the suggestions, i decided a long shot myself and bought a new(reconditioned) pc card and it worked, so obviously something damaged in the old card, ure idea of static ips i`m afraid is beyond my (very) limited knowledge lol. but thanks for your time!

Networking/Security Forums -> Connectivity // Telecommunications // Internet News

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod, All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Page 1 of 1