Login - without remembering details (like the banks do!)

Networking/Security Forums -> Programming and More

Author: Alk3m1st PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:04 pm    Post subject: Login - without remembering details (like the banks do!)
    ----
Hi there,

I have a question around writing a login script. I hope someone can tell me what I should be 'googling' or point me in the direction of a solution.

I would like the textboxes in my login form NOT to display any previous logged in details, i.e. username and password. I realise this can be turned off at the browser level, however the system I am building will be for multiple users on multiple machines, so I would like to remove the capability at the server side.

An example of what I'm talking about would be any one of a number of major Bank login screens. No matter what your browser settings are - they seems to have been able to prevent the textboxes or forms remembering previously entered details.

Many thanks for any help!

Alk...

Author: rlongLocation: Vancouver, Canada PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:32 pm    Post subject:
    ----
Alk3m1st,

The "remembering" feature you are referring to is called autocomplete. It can be turned off in the html code of your form(s) as follows:

For a single form field:
Code:
<form>
<input type="text" name="field1" AUTOCOMPLETE="OFF">
</form>

For multiple form fields:
Code:
<form AUTOCOMPLETE="OFF">
<input type="text" name="field1">
<input type="text" name="field2">
<input type="text" name="field3">
</form>