Mac botnet (iBotnet maybe?)

Networking/Security Forums -> Macintosh

Author: graycatLocation: London, UK PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:49 am    Post subject: Mac botnet (iBotnet maybe?)
    ----
has anyone else seen this in the news?

Basically some AV vendors etc have found "a botnet" on Macs only. Seems to string from people downloading illegal copies of Office 2008, iWork09 and Photoshop CS4 from warez sites and installing them along with a little present of a trojan.

My take on this one:
- firstly it's illegal software so what do you expect
- secondly I don't think the numbers discussed in some articles are anywhere near true considering the vectors (one article mentioned 200,000 macs infected!)
- thirdly it's not a fault of any OS / security / AV system but the owners themselves

oh and finally - all the articles I've read are very light on actual technical details so I will file this under F for FUD until then.

Author: Fire AntLocation: London PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:47 pm    Post subject:
    ----
I read it this morning as well. I was a bit disappointed by the lack of technical details as well. I totally agree with your points.

It was only a matter of time though before this was going to happen. I still think this is very niche though.

Matt_s

Author: moondoggie PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:38 pm    Post subject:
    ----
as you said, it's supposedly stemming from illegally downloaded software. from that standpoint alone, i'm not sure i feel sorry at all for infected users. i've done my fair share of downloading cracked/illegal software but it seems like it should be common sense to do *something* to find out whether or not there is anything going on behind the scenes. i used to use "little snitch" but since i got out of illegal software i've stopped running it.

Networking/Security Forums -> Macintosh

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod, All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Page 1 of 1