optical dial isolater?

Networking/Security Forums -> Connectivity // Telecommunications // Internet News

Author: LLLocation: ny PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:20 am    Post subject: optical dial isolater?
    ----
Hello,

I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post in as I am a beginner, but it is a connectivity related question. I'm doing a research report for a class that has led me to some security question related to secure video conferencing.

In a paper from a company called critcom, I've read, there is concern regarding a potential security breach where someone can tap into the data radiation from say a monitor for instance and would be able to "view the contents of another's computer monitor from over 1/2 a mile away". The paper stated two proposed solutions. The first would be dialing from the IMUX and the second was using something called an Optical dial isolater. It goes on to say "optical dial isolaters convert RS-366 interfaces into optical light streams that are invulnerable to electronic eavesdropping".

Now for my probably dumb question. If you are going over a PSTN, how would this be helpful - isn't it still going over copper lines?

If anyone's interested in the paper I got it at http://www.wainhouse.com/files/papers/wr-security4vc.pdf .

Thanks in advance.
LL

Networking/Security Forums -> Connectivity // Telecommunications // Internet News

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod, All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Page 1 of 1