backup of bookmark folder and software file

Networking/Security Forums -> Hardware // Upgrades

Author: dmonwyanLocation: uk PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:27 pm    Post subject: backup of bookmark folder and software file
    ----
hi all,

i need guide from you. i am going to formate my pc and before formating i need to take backup for my important file. I make one folder and put that file in it. But don't now how to keep my bookmark save site and software backup in my backup folder.

Please help me how should get backup of them?

Thanks.

Author: AdamVLocation: Leeds, UK PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:11 pm    Post subject:
    ----
What operating system do you have now? What operating system are you going to install?
Do you have access to external media (eg USB hard disk) as big as your current drive contents?

User State migration toolkit (USMT) might be the best option, but there's a bunch of alternatives here depending on exactly what you are doing.

Author: NonapeptideLocation: Scottsdale, Arizona PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: backup of bookmark folder and software file
    ----
dmonwyan wrote:
i am going to formate my pc and before formating i need to take backup for my important file. I make one folder and put that file in it. But don't now how to keep my bookmark save site and software backup in my backup folder.
You cannot transfer applications that you have installed on one PC to another PC. You must reinstall the applications from the original media. To save your bookmarks, all browsers have the ability to export their favorites which you can import into another browser later. Which browser are you using? Assuming you're using Windows for your operating system, you can backup your other important files by simply dragging and dropping them to an external hard drive.

Personally, I always take an image of my PC using a tool like Acronis before performing a re installation. That way if something goes wrong or I realize tha tI forgot to back something up I can always go back to the way my computer was just before the reinstallation or open up the image file and browse to the specific files that I need. I also use a tool like Robocopy at the command prompt to copy my entire user profile folder to an external drive. Make sure to do this while logged into a secondary account so your main account doesn't retain locks on any files that you're trying to copy.

Networking/Security Forums -> Hardware // Upgrades

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod, All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Page 1 of 1