With my current setup, can I.....

Networking/Security Forums -> Beginners // Misc. Computer Questions

Author: flaskmaster PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:49 am    Post subject: With my current setup, can I.....
    ----
First of all, I am somewhat above a novice when it comes to computers and networking. I do have a basic idea (thank you community college) on networking and how to set things up. Here is my setup.

I currently share my downstairs neighbor's wireless internet due to a deal with them. At this time I have a PC tower with Win XP Pro, which connects via wireless USB drive to their router. I also have a generic WRT54G Linksys modem that I had acquired. I also have an Xbox 360, with no wireless connection, only CAT-5. I have done some searching, and it turns out that I am able to use some spare ethernet to run a direct connection between the 360 and the PC. HOWEVER, since my PC has both a USB thumb drive as well as a hard-wired connection, I cannot, I guess, bridge the connections between the two, because they both want to use the same IP of 192.168.0.1, if I remember right, which is the IP of the downstairs wireless router.

I have also done some researching, and found out that it is possible to use WDS (wireless distribution system) to wirelessly(sp) connect two routers together, even though it halves the bandwidth. Which is fine at this point. Then I could use CAT-5 to hook up both the PC and the 360 to my Linksys, which will use the shared access point to wirelessly go to the downstairs Qwest crappy modem/router. I even installed dd-wrt on my Linksys, with the hope of getting it set up. But it's not as user-friendly as I thought it would be Smile

Given how anal my landlord is, I would really rather not run a piece of CAT-5 between floors. And I'm completely stumped.

Their Qwest DSL modem/router is called a ZyXel PK5000Z, given from what I have seen from, well, sort of breaking into their router.

I've been spoiled by GUI's and user-friendly interfaces, I guess.

What are my options? I'll check back here as often as I can.

Author: ryansuttonLocation: San Francisco, California PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:51 am    Post subject:
    ----
The easiest thing to do is buy a wireless access point. If that is not an option, you can setup ICS on Windows XP. Be warned, ICS sucks.

Author: adampembsLocation: Pembrokeshire, Wales PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:21 pm    Post subject:
    ----
Yes, the problem is the their router assigns IP addresses to each device that tries to connect (using DHCP) - the router itself probably has the IP address 192.168.0.1 and your PC will probably have a dynamically assigned one in the range 192.168.0.2 - 192.168.0.254 - if the Xbox is trying to connect through your PC, your will need to set up your PC to act as a NAT router, so it will then give the Xbox an IP address that is only visible to the Xbox and the PC, then the PC (as a router) translates all traffic from the Xbox and swaps its IP address with the one used by the PC so it can then be seen by your neighbours router. This is how ICS can work or your can obtain some other routing software.

Better still, like the previous point, get your own Wireless access point (router) to do all the work (routing) - this does the job of creating your own little network inside of the other network provided by your neighbour's router. Just make sure you dont buy an ADSL wireless router, as you dont need the ADSL part of it, and that can make setting it up more complicated. Also make sure the wiress access point has a cat 5 port.

Networking/Security Forums -> Beginners // Misc. Computer Questions

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod, All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Page 1 of 1