External USB Drive Stolen? So What!!!

Networking/Security Forums -> Beginners // Misc. Computer Questions

Author: Hikingnola PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:43 pm    Post subject: External USB Drive Stolen? So What!!!
    ----
I want to secure / encrypt an external USB drive containing the entire backup of all my (sensitive) data. What company offers the most secure hardware-based solution? I've only heard of IronKey, Buffalo, Apricorn but am a bit confused whether these solutions are software-based or true hardware-based full-disk encryptions...

The drive will be my primary backup in case my laptop craters. Because of this, I need my solution to tick certain boxes:
* I will need to store it outside my apartment, possibly at a friends, in case of fire at my own apartment (or thieves breaking in a stealing everything)
* which will make me paranoid that my sensitive data is in another person's hands - which is why a super-strong encryption / security solution is so important to me.
* the drive must be accessible from any computer - in case my laptop hard drive dies, or is stolen.

Any guidance you can provide will be very much appreciated ... along with brief layman's explanation as to why?

Jon

Author: ThePsykoLocation: California PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:47 pm    Post subject:
    ----
TrueCrypt will do what you need

http://www.truecrypt.org/

Author: georgec PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:56 pm    Post subject:
    ----
IronKey may be the best choice but it's expensive and made for the enterprise. I suggest Kingston as they are rugged and very reliable!
Encryption is built inside the hardware and almost 100% safe, check their respective web sites for more info.

Author: graycatLocation: London, UK PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:07 pm    Post subject:
    ----
I've not used IronKey but I have used TrueCrypt for a few things and it definitely gets my vote for securing mobile data on a USB key. Personally I don't encrypt the whole drive but half of it and use that for confidential data.

Networking/Security Forums -> Beginners // Misc. Computer Questions

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod, All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Page 1 of 1