Streamlining Win7 for corporate environments

Networking/Security Forums -> Windows

Author: graycatLocation: London, UK PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:35 pm    Post subject: Streamlining Win7 for corporate environments
    ----
I'm starting to create a standard image of Win7 Ent SP1 for our corporate environment and am looking to make it as lightweight as possible.

So far I've taken the defaults initially whilst I patch and update everything however I will be looking to remove unused aspects such as media creation etc.

Things that I will be adding in to the base image are linux printing, C++ '05 and '08, .NET updates and DirectX 9 onwards.

Has anyone else undertaken this recently? If so, do you have any tips?

Author: AdamVLocation: Leeds, UK PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:53 pm    Post subject:
    ----
Are you trying to make it lightweight as in a very small image with things stripped out, or lightweight in terms of resource use?

In the latter case simply turning features off (while leaving the components available) might be the way to go.

Author: graycatLocation: London, UK PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:03 pm    Post subject:
    ----
more the latter than the former. Thanks for the tips.

Author: AdamVLocation: Leeds, UK PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:26 pm    Post subject:
    ----
So go to Control Panel > Programs > Turn Windows features on or off.

You can turn off things like games (as well as use group policy to remove them from the start menu if you wish), IIS, XPS (possibly).

Another area to consider tweaking is the system tray to make sure that icons you want users to get used to are always shown (eg battery life, volume control, offline files synch status), while others should be silent until they have some useful information or alert (third-party apps like PDF printers, OneNote launcher, Outlook, firewalls, windows update)

Networking/Security Forums -> Windows

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod, All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Page 1 of 1