wireless bridging of the internet

Networking/Security Forums -> Networking

Author: cardiniaconsulting PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:00 am    Post subject: wireless bridging of the internet
    ----
I need to extend internet access to my workshop via a wireless connection to network cable, I tried a couple of wireless routers that say they do this without success. Can anybody recommend a wireless link/bridge that works?

Author: AdamVLocation: Leeds, UK PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:55 pm    Post subject:
    ----
You need a wireless access point.

Some wireless routers would do this job too, if you configure them correctly. If you put in a regular router, it will probably have DHCP turned on by default. If you have some other device or server giving out IP addresses then turn this off, otherwise turn it off and use static IP addresses for all your computers. It may be giving out addresses which conflict with others, or which are not in the same subnet, or giving out the wrong gateway.

The problem with (almost all?) SOHO routers is they are built to work easily in one role. One of the shortcuts they use is the DHCP server gives out the IP address of the router as the gateway. In a normal setup where this is the router, that works just fine, but for more complex networks or where you use the router as an AP on a wired LAN, it is not appropriate.

Hope this helps

Author: cardiniaconsulting PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:21 am    Post subject: wireless bridging of the internet
    ----
Thanks AdamV,
I will start looking for an access point device, you are correct in that many SOHO router devices only do one thing effectivly.
Regards

Author: AdamVLocation: Leeds, UK PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:49 pm    Post subject:
    ----
You may be able to use your router as an AP (I use an old one for exactly that), but turn off DHCP so it does not cause issues.

Networking/Security Forums -> Networking

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod, All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Page 1 of 1