dual ISP routers

Networking/Security Forums -> Networking

Author: wickerandvineLocation: alang-alang Mandaue PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:16 pm    Post subject: dual ISP routers
    ----
Hi! I was asked by my colleague to setup his small contact center business. It small like 50 users at least. He wants a backup ISP as a failover just in case the other one went down. What particular products can you recommend that are not that expensive and is easy to setup. I heard about cisco but I think it's confusing to setup so its out of the option. I know there are lots of products out there and that is what makes me confused. A little guidance from you guys is what I need.

Thanks!

Author: Mongrel PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:20 am    Post subject:
    ----
wickerandvine,

Please let me apologize for the long delay in replying.

In my experience, using a second ISP as a backup, or even two lines from
a single ISP, a criss-cross configuration of four routers using BGP, and a
couple other technologies, to monitor traffic on each line, and automatically
fail-over from one to the other, has been my solution of choice.

As for specific hardware - there *may* be a single appliance that performs
this function but the complexity is in configuration/monitoring.

Hope this helps. FWIW - We used high end Cisco product so your cost
savings will not be there. Hopefully someone can delve into more specifics
for you.

Regards,
Mongrel

Author: wickerandvineLocation: alang-alang Mandaue PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:25 pm    Post subject:
    ----
Thanks for the info Mongrel. I actually found a couple of days ago some products that I think might have the ability for dual ISP, I just forgot the name of the produc/manufacturer. Also, I need some inputs from other users here in the forum. This would help a lot for me.

Author: asharcaLocation: faisalabad PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:24 pm    Post subject:
    ----
I've never personally used any implementation of mlppp. I would have thought Cisco or Juniper would be quite good. I think google will be your best friend on this one, if it was me looking to do this for my home I would be checking out fixppp.org and finding a powerful router that supports tomato.

Networking/Security Forums -> Networking

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod, All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Page 1 of 1