dual boot linux

Networking/Security Forums -> UNIX // GNU/Linux

Author: sprog PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2002 4:12 am    Post subject: dual boot linux
    ----
I was wondering if it was possible to dual boot win2k and linux. If so, what is the best version of linux for a n00b to learn on?
Thx

Author: hadsLocation: New Zealand PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2002 7:07 am    Post subject:
    ----
Welcome sprog,

Yes. It's entirly possible to dual boot WIN2K and linux.

Distribution is mostly a personal preference so you will get a different opinion from everyone. I have used RedHat and would recomend it for a newb and have also heard good things about Mandrake and Suse. Make sure you get one of the latest versions of whichever distro you go for.

As far as dual booting;

Install WIN2K first and unless you have a specific reason not to use FAT instead of NTFS, this will allow you to access the windows partition from linux and has a few other little benifits.

When you do the WIN2k install make sure you leave enough space for linux. 2gig is enough but if you have the space make it more, when you start to like linux and use it more you'll be glad of the space.

Then go ahead and install linux, pretty straight forward these days.

When you get to the stage of installing a boot loader you have a choice, you can use either the windows boot loader or install a linux one. I suggest using Grub, you can choose lilo if you wish but I would stay away from trying to setup the windows boot loader as its more tricky for a beginner.

Linux should take care of making sure you can still boot windows (i have had a few minor probs if your windows partition is NTFS, another reason not to).

DON'T skip making a boot disk, you never know when it will come in handy.

Sit back and enjoy.

Hope this helps, I'm sure others will add more but post back if you have any probs.

Make a toast

Author: JourneymanLocation: Earth PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2002 4:47 pm    Post subject:
    ----
I wouldnt suggest running RedHat, it has alot of holes, but mandrake is very good for newbies, but if you run mandrake id suggest more than 2 gigs, cause it comes with lot of programs, but im a BSD guy myself
so what do I know...

Author: tutaepakiLocation: New Zealand PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2002 10:51 pm    Post subject:
    ----
Another point, Redhat has, and I presume the other distro's do too, a nice little utility which lets you "chop" the end off an existing FAT/FAT32 partition so that you can install Linux onto an existing machine which already has it's entire disk formated for Win.

The first time I installed a Linux partition onto a win2K machine, Win2K
would not accept not having control of the MBR, so I've been using the
windows boot loader ever since.

Below is the howto I found which worked for me....

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
How to Dual Boot Windows 2000 and Linux (Specifically Redhat 7.0)

This document is a quick outline of how to dual-boot a Windows NT/2000 operating system with a Linux Operating System. This document will assume that you have a single hard drive partitioned into two sections, however, the process for using two hard drives is very similar. This guide will assume you have already setup your partitions and have installed Windows NT/2000 on one partition and Redhat 7.0 on the other.

First thing you need to be aware of is that Windows NT/2000 has to own the MBR (Master boot Record). So, when you install Linux be sure to have LILO installed on the first part of the partition, NOT in the master boot record, or this method of dual-boot will not work.

Now that Windows NT/2000 and Redhat are both installed correctly we will setup the NT-Loader to boot linux as well as NT/2000. To do this we need a dos boot disk (a Windows 98 boot disk works fine, or you can go to a command prompt and type format a: /s. This will create a bootable dos disk.) Insert your linux boot disk and boot into linux. Once you have booted insert the dos boot disk and type:

dd if=//[b][/b]dev[b][/b]/hda2 of=/bootsect.lnx bs=512 count=1

mount -t msdos //[b][/b]dev[b][/b]/fd0 /mnt

cp /bootsect.lnx /mnt

umount /mnt

Now, leaving the floppy in your drive, reboot the computer. at the a: type copy bootsect.lnx c:\
Then type edit c:\boot.ini
add the following line to the bottom of the file:

c:\bootsect.lnx="LINUX"

Save this file and close it. Next type:

attrib +s +h c:\bootsect.lnx

That's it, take out the boot disks and reboot your computer, whenthe NT loader comes up you should see LINUX, selecting it will run LILO which will load linux..

One more thing you can do if you don't want to have to push enter when LILO comes up is go into linux and type

vi /etc/lilo.conf

Change the timeout value to 0 and you LILO will begin loading linux instantly.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hope this helps you out.

Networking/Security Forums -> UNIX // GNU/Linux

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod, All times are GMT + 2 Hours

Page 1 of 1