• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

ISO WHAX running on a Mac?

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Macintosh

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Neo0019
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:57 pm    Post subject: ISO WHAX running on a Mac? Reply with quote

How do I install this application on my G5, it is even possible? any help will be appreciated.
njan
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:08 am    Post subject: Re: ISO WHAX running on a Mac? Reply with quote

Neo0019 wrote:
How do I install this application on my G5, it is even possible? any help will be appreciated.

Whax is a livecd and not an individual application - it's an operating system tailored to run off a CD which comes with a lot of security tools preconfigured and installed. The ISO is a digital image of a CD which you need to burn to a CD (using a program which understands ISOs) in order to create a CD you can boot off.

Unfortunately, it's designed for x86 systems, and won't run on a G5, which is a powerpc (ppc) system. There are several livecds designed to run on ppc systems which I imagine would run on your MAC, but none of them are tailored specifically for security, although several of them (eg. knoppix) do contain security tools such as nmap, nc, hping, etc.

What you can do is either install linux and install the apps from whax instead, or install the apps under OSX if there are OSX ports available.

Hope that helps! Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PaulieBoy
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use Fink for lot's of Mac ported software, you can also use the xserver to run apps that may not run under OSX's GUI.
There ain't much that you can't run on the Mac.

My tiny Mac Mini can be turned into a tasty BSD box running Enlightenment WM in second's Smile
Neo0019
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyother options? has anybody use slackintosh?
njan
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neo0019 wrote:
Anyother options? has anybody use slackintosh?

If you're going to install linux on your PPC box, give ubuntu linux a try. There's a ppc version, and it's far and away the best desktop-orientated linux distribution out there, as well as being built on a distribution (debian) which is very well suited to building stable, secure linux environments.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Neo0019
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you used open Darwin, or fink? I just don't want the best option for me to not delete my OS.
moondoggie
Lurker
Lurker

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the problem with linux for mac is that not all of the mac hardware is supported. why bother with linux when you can just open up terminal or x11 and use the bsd your mac came with?
Neo0019
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

moondoggie wrote:
the problem with linux for mac is that not all of the mac hardware is supported. why bother with linux when you can just open up terminal or x11 and use the bsd your mac came with?

How could I do that? I have dl Fink, Xterminator,darwin ppc-801 no used.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Macintosh All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: