• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

New to Mac. Need help networking with PC.

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Macintosh

View previous topic :: View next topic  
manis
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 1:22 pm    Post subject: New to Mac. Need help networking with PC. Reply with quote

Hello.
I'm new to Mac. I need help with the following.
I bought an Ibook. I have a PC. Right now the PC and Ibook are on a wireless network. So far so good.
What I would like to do is the following.
I need to be able to use my PC keyboard, mouse and montior for both the PC and Ibook. Is that possible at all?
I have a KVM cable (2 Terminal) that I can use to hook up the monitor via the Video out port. What about the KB and mouse?
BTW, both the KB and mouse are wirelessly connected to the PC. If that matters at all.

If there's a way that I can accomplish this without buying more stuff, that would be great! Maybe there's a way I can use the wireless network to do this? Like sharing the drive?
The_Real_Gandalf
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not think that you will be able to do much with present hardware....
Neither with present software...

Unless you have MacOS X set on your ibook , you wont even be able to share files over network....

With a switch for your k/b and mouse (which should be connected to your switch with a bluetooth or ir/DA flash device , on your comps) yo should be ok...

MAC -----(bluetooth or ir/DA)----KB-MOUSE SWITCH----(Bltooth-ir/da)----PC

hope this help you out

Gandalf
AdamV
SF Mod
SF Mod

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

would a USB K/M switch be a sensible option for this purpose?
manis
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 5:40 am    Post subject: Vnc? Reply with quote

Is VNC a solution? I have installed OSXvnc on my ibook. Still trying to locate a good (& free) client. I tried a lot of them. none of them works. Anyone has any ideas on a good client?
The_Real_Gandalf
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you have installed VNCserver on your MAC , all you need is the client of the same software on your pc...

Try this link and tell us if the downloaded client worked

Gandalf
AdamV
SF Mod
SF Mod

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry, just realised what I wrote - I only meant a USB switch to share the KB and mouse, not to network the two together.
manis
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 4:52 am    Post subject: RealVNC problem Reply with quote

I'm still trying to connect to my OSX Ibook from my XP PC using the RealVNC viewer. I'm getting a "connection refused (10061)" error. Looks like a lot of people come across this problem. Haven't found a solution yet. Any ideas?
BTW, as mentioned earlier, the Ibook and the pc are on a wireless network on my cable modem.
AdamV
SF Mod
SF Mod

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wireless should not be a major problem - as a layer 2 device it will pass whatever layer 3 traffic you care to use, you just need to use a L3 protocol which can be used by all the clients.
manis
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 2:25 pm    Post subject: Problem solved! Finally !!!! Reply with quote

Ok. I was able to connect to the OSVNX server on my MAC Ibook from my XP PC, using RealVNC viewer. The quality of the graphics is not very good and there is a screen refresh delay... but, it works! and it's free!
I've gone ahead and ordered a PS2 to USB adaptor. (It's amazing what you can find in Ebay...just 7 bucks... including S/H!)

The following is how my home network is configured...
1. XP PC, XP Lapto & Ibook. All on wireless network.
2. KVM Cable connects XP laptop and XP PC to the same K,V & M. (2 Port cable.)
3. New PS2 to USB adaptor will allow me to connect the XP PC and the Ibook to the Same K, V & M through the USB port on Ibook. Ofcourse, I can hook only the XP Laptop or the Ibook at any point of time... that's acceptable... but, with a KVM cable that allows more than 2 terminals it would be even better!
Until I get the adaptor, I'm using the OSXVNC/RealVNC viewer.

Man! why can't things be simpler!!! not to mention cheaper!!!

Next milestone...
Partition my PC HD and install Linux. Hopefully, no money will be involved in this process! Any ideas on a good Linux version? I definitely need a graphical interface... Any good partitioning s/w?
If this goes well, my PC will be on Linux, one laptop on XP and one on OSX. They better be friendly to each other. Phew!

Thank you everybody for your help!
manis
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:24 pm    Post subject: Keyboard share... Reply with quote

Ok.
Now, I have my PC on Linux and Ibook. They are connected via a KVM cable.
Problem - Keyboard behaves like a regular Windows PC keyboard. Although it has the MAC keys, they don't work. I would like it to work like a MAC keyboard with the Ibook and regular KB with my PC.

PS - I have not installed any K/B software that came with it. Would installing it help? (I'm not even sure if it's Linux compatible. Need to check).
zvon
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im not too experienced in KVM's and mac's

but perhaps your KVM doesn't support mac keyboards?
wiz561
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just jumping in mid-way through this topic, so let me know if this makes sense or not...

I have a microsoft 'natural keyboard elite'. This plugs into my powerbook in the USB port and works fine. Even though microsoft makes it, mac os uses it. For me, the 'windows key' is the open apple key on the keyboard. Also, the home/end/page up/page down keys are screwed up, but for the most part, the KB works fine.

One spot that I found awesome for mac help is called "macosxhints". The site is here...

http://forums.macosxhints.com/

Good Luck!

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Macintosh All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: