• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

Tutorial - DSQuery and DSMod to change multiple AD objects

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Exchange 2000 // 2003 // 2007 & Active Directory

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AdamV
SF Mod
SF Mod

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 12:38 pm    Post subject: Tutorial - DSQuery and DSMod to change multiple AD objects Reply with quote

DSMOD foundation course 101

This is intended to show the principles for changing many AD objects' properties in one go. There are lots more clever things you could do with this - like a lot of command line stuff, the principles are very simple but can be strung together to very powerful end results with a bit of thought and a step-by-step logical approach.

Basically, DSMOD allows you to change many (not all) of the AD properties of an object, usually a user, computer or group. This tutorial discusses users specifically, but the principles extend to other objects.

It uses the full canononical name for the object ie "CN=Eliza Doolittle, OU=etc." but you don't need to worry about that. The way to use it in practice is by using dsquery to do a "search" (even if this is for only one object) and pipe the returned results to dsmod, where you change one or more properties of that object.

First try something with dsquery:
Code:
dsquery user -name Chris* "OU=Building 1, dc=internal,dc=mycompany,dc=co,dc=uk"

This should give you several results for everyone whose common name matches Chris* (* as wildcard as usual, note that this also matches zero characters so *Chris* would also return these same results even though there is nothing in front of the "Chris", but would also find "John Christopher" if he existed)

We can now find users who match certain criteria. Then we can pass the results straight into dsmod to modify the properties.

a simple example:
Code:
dsquery user -samid JHC "OU=Building 2, dc=internal,dc=mycompany,dc=co,dc=uk" | dsmod user -tel "555 - 112 233" -u AdminUser -p AdminPassword

translation:
dsquery <object type = user> where <SAM account> = JHC, in the OU ...(must be full canononical form) pipe the answer into a
dsmod and modify this <object type = user> <property of object: "telephone number"> to be "555 etc" <using admin account AdminUser> <password APassword>

so, get the CN of this user, then change their telephone number to X. Simple. (By the way your Outlook web access users will love this - they can get at the internal directory securely, just by looking at the properties of a user in the Address Book, then call someone directly. You could claim you spent all weekend typing in these numbers and get the overtime as well, as long as your PHB does not read this on SFDC!)

For these kinds of changes where there are lots of unique ones I would usually expect to be using some kind of source list and using excel (or whatever you prefer) to parse the bits together into commands, then copy and paste out to notepad (not even bothering to save as CSV, notepad is dumb enough to just take the results regardless). You can paste straight to a command line, but my general recommendation is always write these as batch files, this way they are easier to edit and re-use, and you can keep exact copies of what you have done as change-control records. This is really useful if you screw up and need to undo (ie overwrite) anything, like changing everyone's phone number to the same thing or something equally daft (I'm admitting nothing at this point!). At least you can see what has been done and know what to change back.

You don't need a user name and password if you are running the command window with sufficient privileges. I tend to run the command window with my normal account so I include the admin account details in the command for simplicity.

You need quotes around entries if they contain spaces (in the above example this is true for the OU "Building 2" and the telephone number entry. If this was HeadOffice and just the extension number, quotes not required. As far as I can tell, it is all case-INsensitive.

Slightly more advanced example, doing many users at once, let's say to change user passwords to enable IT staff to set up profiles for them in a new domain during a weekend office move and migration:

Code:
dsquery user "OU=Sales,OU=New York,dc=internal,dc=AcmeCorp,dc=com" | dsmod user -pwd ChangeThisNow! -u Admin -p APassword

This would change password of all users in Sales in New York to "ChangeThisNow!".
Note: the dsquery will return matching objects anywhere in the OU you specify, or further down the OU structure. So, if you start from New York you will get everyone in New York - I would suggest you do it team by team (ish) to avoid changing things like IT staff or service accounts etc.

Having done that you now have everyone that you want with a changed password. On Sunday night you would possibly want to use:
Code:
dsquery user "OU=Sales,OU=New York,dc=internal,dc=AcmeCorp,dc=com" -limit 300 | dsmod user -mustchpwd yes

to force them all to change at next login. You might also want

Code:
dsquery user "OU=Sales,OU=New York,dc=internal,dc=AcmeCorp,dc=com" -limit 300 | dsmod user -office "New Building 3"

Note the use of "-limit 300" - default limit is to return 100 results, useful when you are just doing the dsquery on it's own to make sure you have the syntax correct. If you miss this off it will do the first 100 and stop, so if you expect more results use this switch at a reasonable level (300, 1000, 100000?)

To get useful help files you can just do the usual /?
eg dsmod /?
or dsmod user /?
or dsquery computer /?
I tend to redirect the output to text files for convenience (they are quite detailed).

DSGET is also useful to get the properties in the first place (perhaps to use in Excel to parse a new batch file together), so use "dsquery | dsget " approach to find eg all SAM ID's for Sales, or all their email addresses or whatever.

Summary of the most useful (I have found) user properties :
pwd == user password
mustchpwd == force change of password after next logon
tel == telephone number
samid == we know this is domain-unique so it's a good start point
profile == path to profile *
hmdir == path to home directory *
hmdrv == drive letter for home directory
fn == first name #
ln == last name #
office == Office location, building name, whatever makes sense in your organisation

* The wilcard $username$ can be used to insert the SAM id for the -profile or -hmdir parameter. Note the $, rather than % as you would get in a DOS command using an environmental variable
Code:
dsquery user "OU=Sales,OU=New York,dc=internal,dc=AcmeCorp,dc=com" | dsmod user -hmdir \\internal\DfsRoot\homes\$username$

# eg I will use dsget to do an export of samid, lastname and firstname, then in Excel strip the first initial of the first name and use it with surname to lookup this against the telephone list supplied by the Facilities / reception team which only has surname.initial. From there I can create the script to change the telephone number entries. What I would probably do in practice is change ALL New York user telephone numbers to "unknown", then change the ones my script can match perfectly, then we can do a query for all users whose telephone number is still "unknown" and do these by hand (eg where their first name Elizabeth is in the phone system as "B" for Beth, and for spelling errors etc.)

Very frustrating thing to watch out for, the syntax and names for the properties in dsquery, dsget and dsmod are not identical, eg in dsquery there is no syntax to search for first name alone, you have to use a wildcard-based mask, but having found them you can't write directly back to the name, you have to write to first name, surname or display name as required. This is another reason to use batch files - when it doesn't work because the syntax is wrong you can more easily change it and re-run.

Have fun (! ?), I would reckon the amount of time you spend learning this just for any one-off exercise of changing all the passwords or telephone numbers will pay for itself straight away. You then get to reap more rewards down the line for free!
Kurt Lewis
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow- very comprehensive and detailed article. nice!
lallous
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic Article !!
Where can we get more on this?
AdamV
SF Mod
SF Mod

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I get a chance I'll dig out some articles about it and maybe write some more stuff with examples.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Exchange 2000 // 2003 // 2007 & Active Directory All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: