• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

Best dual processor MOBO

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Hardware // Upgrades

View previous topic :: View next topic  
squidly
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2003 6:20 am    Post subject: Best dual processor MOBO Reply with quote

I was looking at getting a dual proc motherboard. AMD chips and ddr ram. For single processor boards I've found Gigabit to be the best but I dont think they make Dual Processor mother boards.

I was just looking for some info on what people think is the best dual proc and why.

Thanks
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
flw
Forum Fanatic
Forum Fanatic

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2003 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try the search function first, I found a post that may answer some of your questions at http://www.security-forums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2767&highlight=smp&sid=b8ca020af3fae4db05ee9f98d7238d39

Now if I could just find the spell checker function here somewhere ... Laughing

My opinion is it depend on apps/NOS your trying to run with the server and cost vs. performance with your apps. In SMP 1+1 doesn't equal 2. It's around 1.5
Posideon
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2003 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fastlanwan is spot on. I still have a Abit BP6 motherboard with dual 466 celerons in, its probably only giving me about 650-700Mhz and thats with no floating point remember.

My server 2000 seems to make good use of the SMP but is bottle necked by the apps that run on it. If you plan to use SMP in a networking environment consider what applications as fastlanwan said you are going to be using.

Dan
------------

Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
squidly
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2003 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I was thinking of making it a nice little shell server for my self and others I allow on it. Using Linux of course, I was just looking for what people though of the various motherboard makers out there for dual processor systems. For single processors systems I really like the GigaBit motherboards. As I did read that thead before I posted.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
myhatisred
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2003 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for multi-processor, I would definately go with either an abit or asus
squidly
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2003 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But you would stay away from the GigaBit Dual motherboards. That is kinda what I had though of as well. Thanks

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Hardware // Upgrades All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: