• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

Mac security feature?

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Macintosh

View previous topic :: View next topic  
necro1234
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 9:23 pm    Post subject: Mac security feature? Reply with quote

Hi all

Im curious about something I read.
I guy that I now said that his system had crashed, I did not get to many details though, later a customer called him to place an order, the customer worked at Apple support.
Apparently the customer support guy once hearing what happend said that Mac OS has a "feature" which will encrypt and lock down your data on detection of hacking or alterting of the system by malicious virus's.
I am personally a NIX user (hey Id like a small PowerBook if I could afford one :) ) but have never heard of such a thing.

Is this true, or is it a tad off?

Any info on this would be appreciated.

Thanx

Sheldon
RoboGeek
SF Mod
SF Mod

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possibly was this what you were thinking of?

http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/filevault/
necro1234
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmm Im not sure, here is what he said:

Quote:
Thanks for all of you who has written in and expressed your support. The computer crash definitely sent us into a slight panic, and I was almost prepared to reconstruct all of our missing files. However, as it turned out, my computer is one of them smart ones.

The operating system, Mac, is designed to secure and encrypt my files if it suspects hacking. Well, we downloaded a file that may have had a virus. So, when I opened it, the computer immediately sensed the virus, secured everything and froze the computer. However, because I couldn't locate my data after rebooting, I assumed they were lost.

By sheer coincidence, a first-time customer called yesterday to place an order. He wasn't aware of the problem I had, so when I told him about it, his response was, "You should have gotten a Mac."

As it turned out, the guy was a Mac tech. He later helped me identify the problem and locate the secured files. All I needed to do from that point was remember the very first password I used when I got the computer. After entering a hundred or so possible passwords, I finally got it opened.

Anyway, everything is fine now. I got all of my data. Nothing was really lost, and I can go back to playing solitaire. I'll also give the Mac tech a bunch of free plants for his generous help.

Ive heard of OTFE, but never of this kinda setup.

Cheers

Sheldon

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Macintosh All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: