• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

Hacking in progress?

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Macintosh

View previous topic :: View next topic  
billastrilla
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 6:57 pm    Post subject: Hacking in progress? Reply with quote

My friend recently told me about an encounter she had on her AIM. The report was that an intruder on her computer contacted her and sent her a conversation she had the day prior on her computer. I am a windows man that hardly using a MAC, so could somebody please reply on this post with any knowledge they might have with a problem like this. I hardly doubt that she has any kind of spy-ware or virus detectors on her computer which might clear the problem up so i am going over today to install what I know to be good ones. If anybody has any good programs they would like to recommend please fell free to tell me.
Hakuoni
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds more like social engineering than hacking. This person that confronted her is more than likely someone she knows being an ass, or someone that KNOWS someone she talks to.
genxweb
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your freind had wireless and was talking on aim there is a good chance he just sniffed the convo and got her aim from there
moondoggie
Lurker
Lurker

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what genxweb said is probably the case. if she is using a mac, it is difficult to get into the file structure of a mac (especially if it's running osx) and show a convo from the day before without having user permissions. this person is either sitting on her connection sniffing her packets ( Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked ), or got the convo from whoever she was talking to and is just trying to scare her shitless with it. macs don't get spyware, and the only viruses she can get won't affect her system, only windows people who get it from her. still not a bad precaution to run an anti-virus scan anyway, but i don't think it will find anything.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Macintosh All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: