• Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

New Installation RedHat 8

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> UNIX // GNU/Linux

View previous topic :: View next topic  
snootalope
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 4:08 pm    Post subject: New Installation RedHat 8 Reply with quote

ok.. I download disc 1 from linuxiso.org and attempted thier install.. what i got:
2 Disks.. disk1 is ntfs w/winXP and the second is fat32.. which I copied the "extracted" iso image to. I created a floppy using the autoboot.img and booted into dos. Of course my fat32 drive shows up as the C:\ cause the my actual C:\ drive is ntfs, anyway, I run the install and all is well till it asks for the "images" dir.. it has //[b][/b]dev[b][/b]/dsk1 there already, and I use the /redhat/redhat/images for what it's asking.. it tells me it can't see them.. but I know that's where there at! I've tryed many different variations to get it to see the images, but i just can't get past it.. any help??
BTW: I'm getting disc2 right now..
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
dissolutions
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to format one of the drives it should autoboot into a cdrom

You'll need to make 5? partitions. There is a set up, and no i don't think you need all the disks only the first one is neccessary but i could be wrong.

You'll probably have to fdisk one of your partitions.
snootalope
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already formated the drive as a fat32 drive.. it's empty except for the RedHat software I download.. every bit of it is now on the drive I want to install it on.. why do I need 5 partitions on the drive??
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ronin
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If RH is anthing like MDK the partition you're going to install it too has to be unformatted. Otherwise it will cough up an error along the lines that there's not enough free space. As for 5 partitions? I don't get that either. Prehaps dissolutions means that if you choose the default partitioning scheme it creates 5? / /swap /usr /var and /home?
Ronin
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If RH is anthing like MDK the partition you're going to install it too has to be unformatted. Otherwise it will cough up an error along the lines that there's not enough free space. As for 5 partitions? I don't get that either. Prehaps dissolutions means that if you choose the default partitioning scheme it creates 5? / /swap /usr /var and /home?
dissolutions
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ronin wrote:

You only have to post once. Laughing
myhatisred
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the drive that redhat is going to be installed onto needs not to be formated, blow out all the partitions on the drive and when you run the setup off another drive, enter the directory w/ the files. You don't need to extract the files, leave them as iso's
Giro

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

myhatisred wrote:
the drive that redhat is going to be installed onto needs not to be formated, blow out all the partitions on the drive and when you run the setup off another drive, enter the directory w/ the files. You don't need to extract the files, leave them as iso's

Formating dont matter ive installed on a fat32 drive.
myhatisred
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

u need to have unformatted free space on the drive because most distros of linux use their own file system, either ext2 or ext3, and also I usually create another swap partition
Giro

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

myhatisred wrote:
u need to have unformatted free space on the drive because most distros of linux use their own file system, either ext2 or ext3, and also I usually create another swap partition

The install will convert/format to ext when you install.
myhatisred
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dunno, when I tried installing RH 7.3 on a fat32 partition, it wouldn't let me
Ronin
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dissolutions wrote:
Ronin wrote:

You only have to post once. Laughing

Ya I noticed that. Stll not quite sure how I managed to double post. Don't suppose a moderator can kill one of them?
Ronin
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ol Man wrote:

Really? I've tried that both on RH and MDK and both threw an error at me about not having enough free space in the partition. I delete it and leave it unformatted and theyinstalled without a squak.
Giro

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ronin wrote:
Ol Man wrote:

Really? I've tried that both on RH and MDK and both threw an error at me about not having enough free space in the partition. I delete it and leave it unformatted and theyinstalled without a squak.

So why does it format it when you install??? I have installed Redhat on a fat 32 disk and it formated it for me to ext. Also you can run linux on a fat 32 file system but it runs a bit slow!!
snootalope
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok.. so should I delete my partition? If I do, I'll copy all my extracted RedHat info to my primary drive. Should I be able to run the setup from within windows? If so, how.. I'm a total newbie here and I appologize if those are stupid questions, but my dad once told me "No question is a stupid question" Razz anywho.. I got all the images, rpm's and all, and I even have disc2 now.. and, just reading the other posts, I am gonna be able to dual boot right?
Giro

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just install and let the installer partition for you. Make sure you are chosing the right partition/hard drive and all should work.

EDIT: Cant you burn onto CDR/W??

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> UNIX // GNU/Linux All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: