• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

iBook G4 Lock me out.

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Macintosh

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Neo0019
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:33 am    Post subject: iBook G4 Lock me out. Reply with quote

I don't know what to do, my ibook is defenatly lock, my admistrator password is not working I have try with my panther CD to boot from the CD but is not working I don't have the original CD of this unit, and I have not Idea what to do next. Any help will be greatly appreciated

Thanks in Advance

Neo
dustrho
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe contact Apple directly?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
RFmax
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say tried booting from the install CD, do you mean it did not boot up or you could not reset the admin password? I personally do not know if it makes a difference whether it is the same CD or not, but just in case you have not seen this. I thought I would include this link of the required steps to reset the admin password.

http://www.askdavetaylor.com/how_do_i_reset_my_mac_os_x_admin_root_password.
Neo0019
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dustrho wrote:
Maybe contact Apple directly?

Out of warranty.
Neo0019
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RFmax wrote:
When you say tried booting from the install CD, do you mean it did not boot up or you could not reset the admin password? I personally do not know if it makes a difference whether it is the same CD or not, but just in case you have not seen this. I thought I would include this link of the required steps to reset the admin password.

http://www.askdavetaylor.com/how_do_i_reset_my_mac_os_x_admin_root_password.

Yes it did not boot from the CD, it just stays there I honestly don't know what to do, s there another way for me to get access to the Hard drive or to just erase everything and start fresh? that doesn't include booting from the Disk.
RFmax
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to ask if you were holding the c key down while rebooting or starting up? That is required and if that does not work try the option key or another combination. These links talk about it.

http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?story=20050311073316780

http://developer.apple.com/testing/docs/TNqatips.html

http://www.gballard.net/macrant/osx_troubleshooting.html
Neo0019
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RFmax wrote:
I forgot to ask if you were holding the c key down while rebooting or starting up? That is required and if that does not work try the option key or another combination. These links talk about it.

http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?story=20050311073316780

http://developer.apple.com/testing/docs/TNqatips.html

http://www.gballard.net/macrant/osx_troubleshooting.html

I think i'm in real trouble here, when I boot and hold down the option key it ask me for a password, and my adm password is not working, I don't know what to do! is there a way to by pass this? please I really need some help here.

Thanks
dustrho
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where did you get this laptop? Did you buy it off a friend or online site (i.e. eBay)? You should contact the previous owner to get this password from them, if you did purchase it from someone who previously owned it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Neo0019
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dustrho wrote:
Where did you get this laptop? Did you buy it off a friend or online site (i.e. eBay)? You should contact the previous owner to get this password from them, if you did purchase it from someone who previously owned it.

I got it at a pawn shop, I already try it with them they don't have it, a buch of irresponsible freaks I have try everything I know to get this thing running and nothing is working I even try to do from darwin holding down apple option, O, F and is still asking me for a password. Is there any other way..I call apple, they told me I shoudl get it to an apple store but they are so far away from me, I don't know what to do....
RFmax
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have the CD in and it still asks for a password? I am thinking that you do not have the correct CD. As that should not be happening as you are not booting from the CD.
Neo0019
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RFmax wrote:
You have the CD in and it still asks for a password? I am thinking that you do not have the correct CD. As that should not be happening as you are not booting from the CD.

Is there any other way or will I have to purchase another HD?
RFmax
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would call Apple as another poster suggested. They have been in my opinion always very helpful. I would explain my circumstances and hopefully they would be able to help you.

But, I am an Apple zealot. So I am biased. I would even consider purchasing the OS X Tiger software, just to resolve the problem
catwoman
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obtain a copy of Mac OS X.4 (Tiger), as already recomended, and boot from this whilst holding the "c" key down - this will work if you buy/borrow a legitimate copy. Once you have done that, choose the option to restore and install the OS - this will wipe the hard drive, allowing you to set your own admin passwords.

Without a legitimate copy of Mac OS X, you are not going to be able to use this Mac.
simbad81
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reseting Password Reply with quote

there is one more thing you can try to reset the password
you can use Open Firmware and do it from there.
this is the equivelent of the Netbios in the PC's
when you bood just hold down the cmd-opt-O-F keys and
you will get a screen that looks like a command line terminal
just type

clear ROM
reset all

and this should get rid of the password

good luck

simbad81

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Macintosh All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: