• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

Web forwarding questions

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Networking

View previous topic :: View next topic  
manning
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:25 pm    Post subject: Web forwarding questions Reply with quote

I'm not really sure how to phrase the question, so bear with me. A little history to lead in...

A while back we were having trouble with VPN due to the fact that we did not own the domain name that we use for our internal domain. The individual or company that did own it had All or None A record entries so that every name you could come up with would resolve to that domain.

Anyway, we now own that domain name. The problem is my boss wants to use it since it is technically the name of our company. He wants www.thatdomainname.com to point to www.ourcurrentwebsite.com. I tried using forwarding through Network Solutions, but that won't work because they force you to have All and None entries, which puts me back in the same boat I was in before. I now have the name moved over onto our ISPs DNS with no entries at all so it does nothing, but I am sure the boss will want to know when I can get this working the way he wants it to work.

I guess my question is, since that domain name is the same as my internal domain name, what are my options? Can I safely point the WWW entry to something on my web server which is behind our firewall? Or can I use a CName entry to point www.thatdomainname.com to www.ourcurrentwebsite.com?

Thank you
georgec
SF Staff
SF Staff

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure if I understood your situation correctly but the vpn problem you had, could have been fixed by using a public IP rather than a domain name to connect to the vpn connection, no? or could have registered a new domain and pointed it to the vpn's public IP.

Anyway, I would go for the direct option as you referred, pointing www to your server. However, you would need a rewrite rule (redirecting the domain name) on your web server - but am sorry I can't help here!
manning
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, part of the problem was we currently use the built in Windows VPN cleint, with its security issues. So even though all of my users access the network using an IP and not a domain name, the connection is leaky enough that the wildcard entry on the public DNS server interfered to some degree.

Now that I own the domain name I simply have www.thatdomainname.com set up as an alias to our corporate website's domain name at the SOA's DNS. No wildcards.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Networking All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: