• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

Licensing for MS SQL Server Personal Edition?

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Databases

View previous topic :: View next topic  
manning
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 5:31 pm    Post subject: Licensing for MS SQL Server Personal Edition? Reply with quote

Can anybody tell me how licensing works for the Personal Edition option of SQL Server 2000. We own and are running a license of Server 2000 but I also need to install the Personal Edition on a notebook to run a demo version of some warehouse management software and I don't want to get into a license violation situation.

I've looked on Microsoft's site and couldn't find anything helpful.

Thanks!

EDIT Never mind. Google is helpful:

Quote:
Personal Edition
SQL Server Personal Edition is not a separate product, but instead a component of Microsoft SQL Server that is designed to bring SQL Server functionality to desktop applications. It can be installed and used on any Windows® device within an organization provided it is properly licensed with a CAL or connects to a server(s) that is properly licensed in Per-Processor mode.

If SQL Server Personal Edition interfaces with a SQL Server, and then distributes that data to other devices, it is acting as a mutliplexer and SQL Server CALs are required for all devices accessing it. Customers who have licensed their SQL Server in Per-Processor mode can have an unlimited number of connections to that server, whether it be through SQL Server Personal Edition or through direct connections.
zzycatch
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may or may not be helpful to you, but have you considered SQL Express?

http://www.microsoft.com/sql/editions/express/default.mspx
manning
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neat. I'm not sure how it will work with the WMS we are demo-ing, I'll check with the software company. They specify SQL 2000 Standard/Personal and we have had issues in the past where newer versions than what they specify for their software don't work.

Thanks for the heads up

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Databases All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: