• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

Delay in MSDE startup upon system reboot

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Databases

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Smoove
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:13 pm    Post subject: Delay in MSDE startup upon system reboot Reply with quote

Ok here's my situation for anyone to mull over:

I have a system with Windows XP running MSDE 2000 with sp3a applied.

This system is set to automatically login with system startup for the purpose of automating the data collection process of this machine.

I have an application that also starts up upon login that relies on MSDE running.

My problem:

Whenever the machine boots up and logins into Windows with its automated process, the system seems to take its time starting up the sql service before the application I have set to run at startup. This causes a disconnect between the application trying to run before the sql service is completely started. I can resolve this by creating a batch file to execute a ping of the local machine twice and then run the application but that still doesn’t explain why this is happening nor does it provide a better and more permanent solution to the problem.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time.
delete852
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try to set a dependancy in services for msde. Tell it to only start up if that service for that other application is started. You can also put a delay in there. Most of these things will need to be done through the registry or through sc command.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Databases All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: