• Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

iphoto and email problem

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Macintosh

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sherman Homan
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fsck command is a file system check that does the same thing as booting to your OS X Install CD and running Disk Utility > First Aid from the Installer menu.

fsck fixes the five most common types of UNIX directory damage:

1. unreferenced inodes
2. inexplicably large link counts
3. unused data blocks not recorded in the blockmap
4. data blocks listed as free that are also used in a file
5. incorrect summary information in the superblock

In other words, it is a tuneup for your hard drive.
minkata
Link Spammer
Link Spammer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:00 pm    Post subject: wikerandvine Mail Reply with quote

there is nothing wrong with the machine , the system is looking for the application folders and cannot find them . I had the problem with i-photo , and the solution after lenghty googling etc... was to download "pacifist" it's free to try and fully functional so you can actually repair without buying it . This application let you access any applications on your install disk and performs a reinstall for the chosen app , in your case Mail.
I hope this will prove useful .
Minkata
wickerandvine

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if it performs a reinstall of mail, do i have to have the original installer for the mail program? does pacifist look for the installation disk or cd where the Mail program is.?
minkata
Link Spammer
Link Spammer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:51 pm    Post subject: wikerandvine -mail issue Reply with quote

Yes , you need the install disk .Whomever sold you the machine must have the install disk and I am sure will be more than helpful as you are entitled to them ." Pacifist" will read the install disk and show the list of all applications in a tree like fashion , so locating applications is easy.
what is displaced or missing is the application image ." Pacifist "will install any chosen applications at the proper place . Your mail folders will probably still contain your mail ,because when I reinstalled i-photo . my photos where still there. it took me all up ten minutes , I was so impressed I bought ...etc ;-) after that I ran "onyx" to restore and clean whatever traces .
Otherwise ,unless there are real Gurus out-there to pinpoint what happened and show us a step by step command line to correct the problem , it means reinstalling the whole OS . I am not a "Guru" and my solution is empirical , meaning lacking in finesse (:-*
Minkata
moondoggie
Lurker
Lurker

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if the only thing you can't do is run mail, and you can't get a tiger install disk to fix it, then maybe you should try using mozilla thunderbird as your mail client. it's got a few more features than mac mail and at least you will still have a mail client until you can figure out what you want to do about mail not working.
wickerandvine

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i havent reinstalled Mail yet. and its still not working. How can i back up my mails just in case. can i back up my mails even though my MAIL program doesnt work?
minkata
Link Spammer
Link Spammer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:46 pm    Post subject: Mail probs Reply with quote

Hi ,Wickerandvine ,
Check if you can access your Mail ,your mailboxes are located in Library/Mail/Mailboxes in your home folder... (not the hardrive library)
They should be intact , you can easily make a copy to be sure.
As suggested by moondoggie , another mail program can be installed and the Mail folders (mailboxes) can be imported into it , if only to test the integrity of the folders contents.
I hope this will prove helpful
Minkata
wickerandvine

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

where is the library for iphoto located? my mails in /library/mails/mailbox is not there.
moondoggie
Lurker
Lurker

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm not entirely familiar with the way the current version of iphoto works, but previous versions always used <home dir>/pictures/iphoto library
catwoman
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, that's where my iphoto library is
wickerandvine

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how do i use pacifist? do i have to install it?
wickerandvine

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have the installation disk now (disk1 & disk2). My question now is how will i run the disk utility in the installation disk.? do i have to reinstall the disk utility that resides on the computer or i can run disk utility directly from the installation disk?
minkata
Link Spammer
Link Spammer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:39 pm    Post subject: iphoto and Mail problem Reply with quote

Great ! Wickerandvine , you have the install disks.
and Pacifist . When you downloaded Pacifist , two items appeared on your desktop . an external drive icon marked Pacifist and a .dmg (disck image)
The machine probably opened the "finder window" where you could see the pacifist icon and the readme file . the readme file would have explained in detail how to use "pacifist".
To Install simply drag the "pacifist icon" to the application folder or the hard drive folder .
Check the application folder to see if the Icon is now in the application folder. double click on it to see if it works .
I like to keep the read-me file in a read-me file folder which I have created in documents ;simply drag the read-me file to documents . You must have noticed there are two documents folders , the hard-drive documents folder and the "home" documents folder , so make a choice and stick to it otherwise you will be forever looking for stuff ;-)
Now you have more choices . You can either drag the "dmg" on your desk-top in the trash bin or decide to keep it in a "dmg" folder. I like to keep them , but this is not necessary and uses space . Now you can Eject the drive from the finder window because the programme is installed.
Since you have double-clicked on the icon to see if the application "Pacifist" was working ok then you can see a small window marked "pacifist" .
Insert disk one , the content of the disk will be displayed in a tree like fashion , browse to find the applications packages ,look under : System/Installation/Packages/ most packages are marked Essentials.pkg you will find mail
or iphoto whichever you want to install , click on it and "pacifist" will install the package .It's that easy
Good luck .
Minkata
wickerandvine

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If i reinstall my mail program, will my mails and other important stuff be deleted? I have the installation disk now so My question now is how will i run the disk utility in the installation disk.? do i have to reinstall the disk utility that resides on the computer or i can run disk utility directly from the installation disk?
moondoggie
Lurker
Lurker

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

disk utility can be run directly from booting to the install disk. make sure you do not run the installer
wickerandvine

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how can i boot form the install disk and run disk utility. In mac i try to run disk utility but it said that a program in background process that is required by disk utility did not start properly.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Macintosh All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: