• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

configuring an Oracle 9i Database Server

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Databases

View previous topic :: View next topic  
janbaztaimoori
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:56 am    Post subject: configuring an Oracle 9i Database Server Reply with quote

I have small domain network with 25 computers.
Server Computer has Windows Server 2003 Installed on it.
I have installed Oracle 9i Server on this server and also on the client machines.
I want to configure the Server so that my clients can connect to it. What is the easiest way to do that.
Groovicus
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IS there some application that the clients have that uses the database, or do you just want them to have raw access to it?
janbaztaimoori
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:28 am    Post subject: a little more explaination Reply with quote

Please don't mind dear but would u like to tell me what are those applications that uses database. Embarassed

And the answer to your question is that no there are no applications. I just want them to access the default example database that is installed with the installation of Oracle 9i using SQL*Plus or SQL Worksheet.
Actually i am preparing for OCP on self Study basis coz i don't have any teacher available here. And this is my 1st experiance in Oracle products.
Groovicus
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There could be any number of applications that would access a database. Forums such as this use a database, biomedical research, accounting, medical field.

Anyway, in a nutshell, your users must have access rights to the database, or some portion of the database. I don't know how to configure SQL*Plus (I can't imagine that someone would really use this). At least with the SQL Worksheet, there does not appear to be any sort of network capabilities.

When I want clients to be able to access my database remotely, I either do it through a web-application, and all of the access is done server side, or I do it with an application that includes a database connector of some kind. For instance, Java applications use connectj for connecting to MySql. Oracle probably has their own proprietary connector.

In your scenario, there needs to exist some application or script that knows how to connect to the database.

Sorry I can not be more specific, but I am extrapolating from my experience which may or may not be applicable.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Databases All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: