• RSS
  • Twitter
  • FaceBook

Security Forums

FAQ | Usergroups | Profile | Register | RSS | Posting Guidelines | Recent Posts

Is Visual Basic a good language to start learning with?

Users browsing this topic:0 Security Fans, 0 Stealth Security Fans
Registered Security Fans: None
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Programming and More

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chris665
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 6:22 pm    Post subject: Is Visual Basic a good language to start learning with? Reply with quote

Can anyone please give me some advice......I would like to learn a bit about programming from scratch, should I start with VB or is there a better option.
Thanks Chris. Question
Wombat
Trusted SF Member
Trusted SF Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Visual Basic is easy to use, the code is easy to follow, the context-sensitive help is great, and the debugging tools are very useful.

However, to really learn the concepts behind object-oriented programming you'd be better off learning to program in an environment that doesn't "hold your hand" as much as VB does.

Lots of programming courses start you off with C, and there's a good reason for that: if you learn the concepts with something as unforgiving as C, you'll be able to apply those concepts to pretty much everything else.
method
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wombat wrote:
if you learn the concepts with something as unforgiving as C, you'll be able to apply those concepts to pretty much everything else.

yeah but C might scare you off. I got my feet wet with VB, it was a gentle way of getting into programming. But I had to really rethink somethings when I started learning C++.
threecho
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wombat wrote:
the code is easy to follow

I would say 'up to a point' as soon as a project gets to a certain size or complexity in VB the 'easy to follow' no longer applies.

I have always recommended C as a good starting point but recently I have been using a lot of Python and think it would make a great first language.

Everybody has their favorite language so I would expect lots of different answers depending on who you ask Smile
TheKingster
Link Spammer
Link Spammer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say VB. Why jump in at the deep end with C when you can learn with VB.

You wouldn't ride a bike straight away without first learning with stabalisers Razz
ShaolinTiger
Forum Fanatic
Forum Fanatic

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say start with Delphi personal edition, you can get it free from magazines.

Why start with a crap language that never gets used in any serious environments when you can start with one equally as easy that does.
threecho
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheKingster wrote:
I would say VB. Why jump in at the deep end with C when you can learn with VB.

You wouldn't ride a bike straight away without first learning with stabalisers Razz

IMHO VB encourages horrible programming habits, the problem with starting with VB is that you will have to eventually unlearn those habits.

My personal opinion is that a programmer should be well versed in several languages, starting with one that promotes good style will help when it comes to coding in a language that doesn't.
dissolutions
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Python is a good language to start with teaches you the basics of programming.
liquidism
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is going a little off topic but instead of asking whether or not its a good language to start out w/ id like to ask is it really worth it in the long run. I mean do any of you still use it on occasion even tho you know more powerful languages like c++?
threecho
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

liquidism wrote:
is it really worth it in the long run

yes, the products I work on are in C++ but several times when integrating third party components the example script has been in VB or Delphi, plus a basic understanding of assembler helps with debugging.

liquidism wrote:
I mean do any of you still use it on occasion even tho you know more powerful languages like c++?

depends what you mean by "powerfull" there are lots of reasons why one language may be considered better in a given situation. I wouldn't write a device driver in Python or a simple network server in C.
Tygur
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started with VB (VB4 was the first version i ever touched). It's not that bad a language to start with. It's very easy, compared to other languages. As for bad habits, I think it's kinda hard to say that a particular "language" encourages them. You can get bad habits and write nasty code in any language. I think it really depends on the teacher, if there is one. If he/she encourages good habits, the people learning the language will typically get good habits. But if the teacher has these bad habits, he/she will likely pass them on.

I think the problem with VB is that it's a little too easy to learn, so the people learning it don't exert as much effort and are more likely to have bad habits, because they didn't take the time to learn properly.

As for me, I did ok. I went on to learn other languages after VB (including C/C++), and my coding habits were always pretty good. Right now, my favorite language is VB.NET. It's still easy, but it's so much more powerful than previous versions.
chris665
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tygur... I think that I must now take the plunge and purchase a copy of VB.Net and have a go.
Chris
Epikal
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am learning, C++, but i have never tried VB.
StIlTz
Just Arrived
Just Arrived

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 1:58 am    Post subject: Python Reply with quote

I started with C and got frustrated and gave up. Later on I looked at Python and that is quite easy and straightforward (as far as programming and learning it goes).

I too would reccomend Python. If you get a book I would stay away from the Deitel and Deitel Book... Python Bible 2.1 wasn't too bad though. I have both sitting on my shelf...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer-friendly version    Networking/Security Forums Index -> Programming and More All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: